Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally, pics of the rig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Well here are some low-quality pictures from my camera-phone. Best I can do until I fix or replace the digi-cam.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think for a $1500 purchase?

2. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Registered Member

Nice looking rig. I bet it is nice and clean (rust free) living in Tx.

3. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

It is rust free in the normal rust spots (fender wells, underbody, floor boards, etc.), the top of the cabin has some minor surface rust (the truck sat for long periods as it was used as a hunting truck). The cabin was also full of clay dust when I bought. After a good cleaning of the interior all is looking well. The rust on top of the cab just needs to be stripped and sealed/painted.

I will need to purchase some stuff before I'm ready to do this as all of my tools went with the family to California last summer. Need a drill primarily to remove the rust. Then I plan on using rattlecan primer and paint with a few coats of clear. I did this for a set of wheels in the past and they came out nice. I like the fact that autozone carries GM-paint spray cans. Very nice.
    I will have to shoot some pictures of the interior as it is completely bare.

There are no rear side panels or speakers, the metal of the truck is all that is there. Instead of carpet there is a rubber mat throughout. The only downside is the A/C doesn't work (hoses). The actual truck is a joy to drive with it's simplicity (compared to the 944's I owned).

I look forward to driving this truck until I buy another Porsche; then it will turn into a very nice "parts rig". I'm not sure I'll turn it into a rock-crawler, I've never offroaded to offroad. It has always been to go camping or for some other reason. I did find DE with the 944s was lots of fun and I'd like to do some SCCA racing in the future.

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

ALL! full size blazers are beautiful! :D

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

What do you think of the Ranch Hand front grill? The PO says he hit 2 deer with it and it doesn't look bent or damaged at all. It's square tubing and rigid as can be!

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'd check the frame for cracks and bends very closely.

7. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Will do, thanks!

8. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

If it was a hunting truck left in west TX make sure you go through the electrical very well. Field mice and rates out there will tear up anything with a rubber lining. A friend of mines CJ caught fire when he was driving it home after leaving it out all summer.

9. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I took the dash apart and found the wires in decent shape. Under the hood everything looks good, it's all just very very dusty. The neighbor I bought the truck from said it was mostly stored in Austin or back home near Dallas.