Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally - S-TON progress

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by Mudzer, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I finally picked up the frame for the S-TON. Layne "loaned" me a '78 SWB 4x4 Frame. I plan to install ORD rear mounts and move them back 4", then install 56" (6" lift) rear springs backwards to move the axle back another 4". Up front, going with 52" springs and front mounts moved 2" forward.

I finally got around to dragging out the frame. This thing had been setting a while. About 10 years ago, Layne decided to refinish this frame. He sandblasted it and painted with Emeron Black. He also installed new brake and fuel lines. I guess he lost interest, because they parked the frame for a short 10 years and I retreived it from the abyss. It had 6" diameter trees growing through it!! So, I rescued it from the rhubarb. The Emeron is still like new, but the fuel and brake lines are trash.

I already removed all the mounts from the frame that need moved. Now, the plan is to install all of my drivetrain, and finally the 95 S-10 Extended Cab.

It will head to Steve Frisbie's shop after that for a roll cage and roll bar install. She'll get a fresh coat of bright red paint (per the Wife) and will be ready to cave in by mid to late summer. Stay tuned...

I'll get some pics of the frame setup real soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

MAN, am I tickled to have this frame in the driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got the fuel and brake lines from a 79 SWB sitting out back you can have. They are in pretty good shape if I remember right. It wouldn't be that hard to run new though.

3. Mudzer

I appreciate that!

Actually, I am completely going custom on the brake and fuel lines. I have Holley Pro-Jection, so I need a minimum of 5/16" return and around 3/8" supply for fuel.

The brakes are also going to be custom - Im running 3/16" from the master down to a my adjustable prop. valve, then going with a single connection down to the axle (single flex line in the middle). After the Tee, I'll 1/4" run hard line out to just near the calipers, then flex line to the calipers. Likewise on the rear, with the only exception being the addition of individual electric line locks for cutting brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Cool, I figured the custom stuff was coming with the list of mods your doing. Sounds like an intersting project. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

PICS /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

What happened to the coilovers? I thought you were planning on linking the rear.

Let me know if you need anymore help with the S-Ton, I always like a free meal! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Mudzer

Well, I got a little ahead of myself and wedding/honeymoon expenses took over the play money! I figured I would get the rig on all fours, wheel it for another year, then link it up if I wanted to. I've seen too many leaf sprung rigs here in the Midwest that work just dandy. Not sure I need the extra bling and the possibility of unloading front or rear during ascent/decent.

7. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

[start post hijack]
    Orion, you gonna make it out to Fulton this Sat nite or Sunday? We have a CCC club meeting on Sunday and of course the Nightcrawlers will be out Sat nite!
    [end post hijack]

BTW, for all those who know him,
    Neil IS all about the Bling, Bling.