Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finally saw fast and furious

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Prembird, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I noticed something in the movie.. right before the first race vin hits the remote and you get a shot of the system in it... it has alpine type "s" 12 in. subs... sorry being a audio buff i wasnt sure if anyone else noticed this..

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I didn't catch the brand, but I do remember them showing a quick shot of a stereo install....

The movie was entertaining, but there were a few things that sounded wrong to me.

1. The $80,000 Eclipse. As the guys look over the car, they assess his engine as having $10,000 in upgrades....it seems like a real stretch that there is another $70K in "small stuff" on the car.

2. The Supra is supposedly a 10-second car, but it has a pretty hard time disposing of the Ferrari in the race scene....

3. Of course the Supra almost beats the 900HP 'Cuda also....which I thought was described as a 9-second car.

I enjoyed the movie, because I went only hoping to see some cool cars and didn't have much hope for a 'story' or believable characters....

Prem...maybe you should change your .sig line for this thread. "If it ain't FAST Then add NITROUS" [​IMG]

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

lol... but then it just wouldnt be me... Im not into N.O.S. systems... i prefer to put a supercharger on a car and other mods before adding N.O.S. to it... This way you have full power all the time and not until the bottle runs out.. hehehhe

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey Mr. Audiophile, Didn't you notice the Alpine Iva-c800 that folded out of the dash in the Cop guys Eclipse!!! [​IMG]

http://autotronixcaraudio.com

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

yes i noticed that also... also noticed the alpine v12 amp along with the alpine head unit that was with the type s subs

Prembird

6. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

ok, for greg72.
    1) it wasnt all the mods that were 10,000 dollars. it was the feul system alone that was 10, 000 dollars. it was a stand alone laptop controlled feul system. thats why Vin Diesel butted in while the smart guy was talkin and said "and a stand alone feul system, good way to spend 10,000 dollars".
    2)the supra is a 10 second car. it has over 700 hp and is for sale for 80,000 dollars on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suprastore.com>http://www.suprastore.com</A>
    3)he probably beat the cuda with the NOS which was probably a 100 shot. wich gave him a 800 hp plus the cuda blew a apark plug out of the block halfway through the race, it showed it.
    i did think it was weird that vin diesel had type S subs when the type R subs are a high level. hes got a 30,000 dollar car and 100 dollar subs. maybe its just me, oh well.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    "With great power there must also come great responsibility" -Spiderman

7. Greg72

Adrock,

I stand corrected! [​IMG]

Though I would still rather have that 'Cuda.....$80,000 for an Eclipse? Sorry, but at the end of the day.....it's still just an Eclipse.

I know....it's just a movie, but what do ya wanna bet there are import folks spending that kind of money for REAL???

-Greg72

ps. If you guys ever hear that I've spent 80-Grand on my K5.....please slap some sense into me!! [​IMG]

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Ok, first and formost, <font color=red>IT IS NOT A 'CUDA!!!!!!! IT'S A '69 CHARGER!!!!!(yelling at the top of my voice)</font color=red>
    Ahhhh, I feel much better now.
    As far as the subs go, I can think of qutie a few reasons to got with the TypeS over the Type R.......

A) Weight, the type S 10" weighs 5-10lbs less
    B) The mounting depth of the Type S woofers are not as deep , big, as the type R's
    C)The type R woofers require more power wich requires more amp wich requirers more power etc. etc....

http://autotronixcaraudio.com

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hey Adrock,

So, it threw a plug out of the block huh? Since when do spark plugs thread into the block?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

since they made the rotorary motor.. hehehhee.. just had to add that in...

Prembird

11. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

They screw into the block when i say so dammit!!!!! ya, so it blew it out of the head. and ya, it was a charger, cant believe i missed that one. i have actually spent about 35,000 on my supra. its nothing close to the one in the movie, but i like it. i get about 550 hp without NOS, 650 with my 100 shot fogger, but i have never used the NOS. i loved that car, and i loved my dads 66 Malibu with a 502 in it. i wish there was less animosity between the detroit and import people. they both have there pluses and minuses. i love american muscle and import power. not a big fan of 4 cylinders, i think a car has to have atleast 160 hp. always been fascinated by rotary engines. i like almost all kinds of cars. i love being able to look at almost any nice car and appreciate it instead of sneer at it. some of the inovations and stuff on the imports are amazing, and the power from an american V8 will always make me smile uncontrolably. i fell very lucky to be open minded about alot of things. i wish more people were. the world would be a much nicer place.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383

12. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

i just figured if his car was so expensive he would have went all out with his system, whish he pretty much did, except for his subs. not saying they arent nice. just thought he would have went with the top line. but you're right about the wieght and depth and stuff. still cant believe i called it a cuda. guess i was cought up in the moment of explanation and i didnt pay attention. wow. the chargre is one of my favorites. ugh.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383

13. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

The nice thing about rotorary motors is that it only has 35 percent of the moving parts that the american motor has... There are alot of nice things about it and that it is a rather reliable motor.. now here in the states there isnt alot of people that know how to work on them and those that do will charge you out the ying yang for working on it... The motor can reach a much higher rpm then any other motor out there safely.. since it is spining instead of having pistons running up and down... The torque that these motors put out is extremly high... now even though they may not put out alot of horsepower unless built up they make up for it in torque... I have spent alot of time studing the wanko (spelling) motor.. aka rotorary.. motor... But the sound of an american v8.. there is nothing like it...

Prembird

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

well there are some guys that can appriciate both detriot iron and hi-tech imports. I personally have had both and it is a matter of money and likes really. Anyway you go, if you wanna do ten's in the quarter you need to spend some bucks... just usually on an import it is times 5 if it is RWD or AWD and times 10 if it is FWD. I have had a NMCA Trans am that ran high nines, quite a few 400 and 500 hp cars both with and without nitrous, a 340 Duster, a 70 Z28, and a couple of the DSM's (Eclipses and Talons) w/ turbos. The drag car flat out flew and wasn't really streetable... although she did make some boulevard appearaces. My DSM's were pretty stock except for boost controlers and some smaller time mods, but man were they a blast to drive on the street. Fun daily driver to run on 92 and pull about 25 mpg...plus kill stock mustangs all day long [​IMG] Gotta love launching at 4 grand w/ the AWD too [​IMG] But basically I think this can go to show we can all co-exist. It's just the damn young punk importer need to kill some of their "I'm da Shiznit" attitude and the muscle car guys need to kill the "if it ain't American and eight cylinders, it ain't fast" attitude. It reminds me a lot of about 10 to 15 years ago w/ the Grand Nationals and turbo Trans Ams. Now they have a pretty good position. It will be dumb attitudes and some of the ugly add ons (IMO that is) that will hold out the imports. I personally would love to build up an Eclipse, but that is gonna have to wait a while.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Haven't seen the movie yet......I love both import and big V-8 powered vehicals.......About the speakers in the car, He is racing, so weight is a factor along with wanting great sound. I still love the sound of the old "Blue Thunders" and they were inexpensive.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

16. Greg72

I have to admit.....I buddy of mine has one of the new Honda S2000s, and he let me drive it HARD.....in fact he insisted!!!!

You have got to be impressed with a factory car that redlines at 9000 RPM and screams like a banshee from six grand on up!!!! What a weird exprerience.....people on the sidewalks were running for cover thinking that they would be hit by a piston or broken connecting rod. By the time I banged through a couple of gears (0 - 9000RPM) each....we were well over 80 mph on city streets!!!! [​IMG] ...is this a car, is it a motorcycle....?

I can't imagine those kind of revs EVER happening on my BBC, that's for sure......but on the flip side, I couldn't find ANY torque in that S2000 until something like 6000 rpm. Not a fun car to commute around town in.....that's for sure!!!

-Greg72

I guess I can appreciate both "camps" when it comes to engines (revs vs. torque) but the older I get, the more I like just being able to loaf along at 2000 RPM with enough torque to smoke the tires at will!!!!!!