Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally saw "Jarhead"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SkulzNBonz, Jun 5, 2006.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

What a piece of crap! Obviously written by a ****bag with a chip on his shoulder.:mad: Wholly inaccurate, and at best a piece of antiwar propaganda. No wonder Jake whatthefukishisname went on to star in "Fudgepack Mountin'"

John

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Yeah, it isn't on my list of must see's either. Platoon was enough anti-war propoganda to last me for a while....

3. SkulzNBonz

Glad to see I'm not the only one that didn't like that turd either.

John

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The movie sucked in general, but it accurately potrayed what Marines will do to cure boredom.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

From what I understand the movie was based on a book that was even worse.

I decided a while back I wasn't going to watch it, like Hollywood would get a modern war movie right. :rolleyes: I thought the trailers were very misleading, and I'm glad I heard what the movie was really about before spending money to see it.

6. SkulzNBonz

Really? The Corps must have changed for the worst. I thought that was the worst portrayal of my beloved Corps that I have ever seen. Makes me want to vomit. Granted, we did some crazy **** when we were bored, but that was just stupid beginning to end.

John

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I read the book, months ago. It reads like a Vietnam war novel. Cmon, guys, it ain't all sunshine and roses. I can't begin to tell tales of INSANE stuff we did back in the 70s. I don't necessarily like reading stuff that puts the Corps in a bad light, but if it is true, WTF?????

8. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

Let me say first that I am Army, but I would agree that they were fairly close on what soldiers or marines do when bored, but otherwise the movie was a bit of a turd! Beyond the fact that it was clearly a sh!tbag broked!ck that wrote the book, the movie itself was just crap. I couldn't get a grip on any character, couldn't decide what anyone's intentions were, who liked who and who thought who was an asshat!
    You had to expect anything coming out of hollywood while we are in Iraq would be a real sh!tbomb, yet i still spent my money to see it....eh live and learn.
    I still contend other then "the green berets", the only other close representation of military life in the battlezone would have to be "blackhawk down"!!!

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

No tbeing able to understand characters is sometimes a goodthing, but it sounds like that was a mistake, not an intention this time around

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Ya the wife and I watched it last nite and I really want the hour+ of my life back. Pay-per view can keep the $3.99 just really want that time of my life back........

11. SkulzNBonz

That's the bad part, I couldn't see more than about two instances that were even closely based on anything true.

John

12. JOEDEZZY

JOEDEZZY 1/2 ton status

If you guys want a good war movie watch Taegukgi, its a Korean movie about the Korean War, Blockbuster or Hollywood Video has it dubbed in english, damn good movie imo

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep. Book sucked. I read it a few years ago; very disjointed and rambling. Made me wonder what editor decided it was ready for publication...

When I heard they were making a movie out of it, I decided right then that I wouldn't waste my time or money on it. I think I made the right decision.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i was an 0311 just 2 years after the Jarhead guy... and my experience wasn't anything like the one he had. Didn't seem realistic to me at all... and I doubt the corps changed that much in them 2 years. Yes, grunts will do some odd things to pass the time occassionally, but the stuff in the movie was just bizarre... and if it happened in the grunts, I sure as hell never saw it. I dunno, maybe there are turd-bird units out there. I was in RSC/L in GTMO and 2/5... some squared away mo-fos in both. Right before I got out I did a short time in 3/4... they weren't quite as good... but there still weren't Brokeback Jarhead-like.

j