Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally SAW the difference between the Chevy and GMC fenders....

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd always heard there were differences in the 1st Gen fenders between the GMC and Chevy models, but yesterday I decided to see it for myself:

[​IMG]

See the extra "ridge" on the Chevy fender (left)??? It certainly explains why the grille always fit so poorly on the passenger-side of my truck (it has a GMC fender!)

Anyway....I thought you guys might enjoy finally SEEING the differences as much as I did.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Then there's the differences between the '67, 68, and '69-'72 Chevies too. '67 doesn't have the hole for a marker light. '68 is like a '67 with a marker light hole.

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I didn't know there was a difference between the Chevy and GMC fenders. Good information!

The shape of the 67 & 68 fenders and hoods are quite different when compaired beside 69-72.

Greg72 - who's yellow blazer is that. It looks really nice.

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

The yellow one is mine. He's building a cage for it. Apparently he's having a good time doing it since the knowledge he gains from experimenting with mine will pay off when he builds one for his truck.

5. brandoneh

brandoneh 1/2 ton status

HAHAHAH! Greg is havin too much fun in the sun! I wish i had another k5 to play around with!

6. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Mike - you have a nice looking rig. Do you have any more pictures of it? My first K5 was that color - except mine had lots (I mean lots) of funky 70's pin striping all over it. It wasn't nearly that nice looking.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mike - you have a nice looking rig. Do you have any more pictures of it? My first K5 was that color - except mine had lots (I mean lots) of funky 70's pin striping all over it. It wasn't nearly that nice looking.

[/ QUOTE ]Well Mike got that one when we traded trucks. Here's a pic from before we traded and he rubbed out the paint. [​IMG]

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

And this is Mike's old truck that I have now. I keep my 37"s and Mike keep his 35"s for the '70. [​IMG]

9. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I plan to take some good pictures of it after teh cage goes in. That pic that 70~K5 put up was before I spent a day shining the paint. A little rubbing compound & wax made a big difference.

10. brandoneh

brandoneh 1/2 ton status

All you did was use RUbbing compound and Wax?!! that sure made a HUGE difference! how long did it take you?! My paint is all oxidized to crap, and it takes soo damn long to get that rubbing compound to shine....guess i'll need to learn some patience!

11. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

It felt like I spent all day out there. It was at least 4 hours straight working on it maube a bit longer. I was trying to get it pretty before I took it on the first run to Frank Raines with the group.

12. 71blaz

71blaz Registered Member

GMC fenders are the same as 68 fenders of 67 without the marker lights /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Someday I want to change the front clip on my 71 k5 to a 68 ( lower hood better visibility and looks better too) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes, are different 69-up

chevy 69-72 are double lipped front and 67-68 and all 67-72 gmc fenders are single lipped front, reason why 69-72 chevy ones are oddball is cuz chevy 69-72 used the aluminum surround style grilles shells, they wont interchange, and gmc grilles used a filler piece along top of grille that chevy didnt, rad suports split same years too for chevy, 67 68 headlight buckets are in different location on the supports than in 69-72, ppl who dont know much about the trucks of the CST era have a hard time understanding the front clip changes they went through, every year of the six year run had some kind of grille or clip change of some kind or another, even from 71 to 72 there are a couple changes and from 69 to 70 also, they are subtle though.

67-72 trucks are my passion, i know more about them than any other vehicles in the world, my first was a 68 chevy lwb fleet 307 sm318 3.73 12 bolt open, i miss it sniff*

if you have any more Q's about 67-72 stuff then lemme know i can answer anything about them

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

How many trucks do you have up there?

15. 72yellow

72yellow Registered Member

Mike - Did you use a buffing machine or did you do the whole thing by hand... Sorry to go back to the paint but it came out so good. Mine is close to that color and I planned on doing a good cleaning, polish and wax to the inside but figured I would just get a coat of paint for the outside.

16. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

All by hand. I had a big bottle of the liquid kind rather than the passte in the tub. It took almost that whole bottle. I tried a buffer on the hood, but it didn't work at all so I got to do it all by hand.

I can't remember if it was rubbing compound or polishing compound. I'll check the bottle when I get home. I was pretty surprised at how well it turned out.

17. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

It was a 32oz bottle of rubbing compound made by 3M.

18. 72yellow

72yellow Registered Member

Thanks - The hood must have been fun....like doing a football field.