Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally--She's alive and wheelin---pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Mar 31, 2002.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Finally--She\'s alive and wheelin---pics

After at least 6 months of sitting, and at least a year of true wheelin i got my truck wheelin again. Turning STINKS w/ welded rear and locked front---but i expected it. next thing to do is start on the flat bed---that will be in a couple weeks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and shocks.FINALLY she can wheel again

http://community.webshots.com/album/34507403AhZybs

Yea I know there poser shots, but its the first time out and i didn't want anything to go wrong

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Finally--She\'s alive and wheelin---pics

Come one welded rears and locked fronts make it fun. Just stick it in 2wd when you need to turn sharp, or run it over /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hey, we should get together! Our trucks would almost make a matched pair if I desert camo'ed mine and you remove your doors and front fenders. I also got mine out for the first time last Friday on Upper Ajax. What a blast. Unfortunately I forgot my camera and I haven't seen any pics posted yet. Also, looks like I'll need to add a limiter like yours to my rear shackle setup due to the changes I made to Marv's setup. Basically the longer shackles angled back, combined with a hanger angled back (rather than vertical as stock) causes the shackle to fold into the swing arm when pushing hard (like climbing a shelf) while flexed. Even at that there were no problems at it worked great!

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Lookin good. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. SCOOBYDANNN

im thinking the same thing about the limiting---do you have a standard or auto? i have to be real easy when i take off or the shackle lifts the rear like a stink bug. thinking of when i do the flat bed drill 2 holes for some u-bolts to hold down the shackle when driving and un bolt it when wheeelin. i dunno--gonna talk to marv about it. im 100% sure im gonna make a trip to phx to do all the wheelin i can shake my foot at. oh and the doors---in due time. gonna take the doors off when it gets nice here, and when i do the exo im thinking about taking the fenders off./forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif. so we definately need to wheel.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh man I wish I could say that /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif LOL (soon - very soon /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Pretty Cool!!

What are you going to make (material) the flat bed out of?

8. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

So which one came first the big ME or MINI ME?? Just was looking at the album and began to wonder.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Very nice. another long time project back on the trails. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. SCOOBYDANNN

any structural integrity lost when you took off the doors?

11. BadDog

I'm also been thinking of a lock for the swing arms. However, I didn't notice any problems with torque unload with my setup. But, we didn't have any hard steep climbs to test it on. I've conceived of several possible lock setups if it becomes a problem.

Anyway, the limit I was talking about is the one that hangs down on yours due to the shackle flip mods. Mine seems to unload exactly like I want it to unless I'm under power (like pushing up a wall while flexed) where it sometimes wanted to fold the shackle into the swing arm. This is due to the changes I built into my suspension and is in no way characteristic of the system that Marv designed. It’s primarily a result of the angled hanger, longer (6” rather than 4”) angled (rather than vertical) shackle, and a few other contributors. My real desire was to have the normal movement come from the shackle movement (so I angled it back) with the swing arm only coming into the picture during extreme flex. It seems to work pretty well like that, as long as I’m not on the gas. Even then, it hasn’t caused a problem. I didn’t even know it was happening till Marv pointed it out to me. We talked about a few possible changes to help correct his but I’ll have to wait and see how it works out. All I knew is that my rig was super stable at all times while walking through some serious boulders and falls. Marv said the rear suspension was working like crazy and with one exception, I don’t think I ever lifted a tire. The exception was a front tire that came up when I was really twisted going up an off camber fall shelf. If there was any other “tire in the air moments” I didn’t realize it. Can’t wait to see some pics! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

See ya when you get out here!

12. SCOOBYDANNN

im gonna use the bed supports that the truck came w/ and use a flat peice of steel and secure it for now, and later im gonna make a kinda tube bed w/ all sparer parts and spece for coolers and such

13. BadDog

I'm sure it would cost me some if I went over but, nothing I noticed on the trail. Hehe, all I've got left is a cab and hood. And the hood is only there because I didn't have time to make some tube supports for the core support! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Ultimately I'll be cutting the top and back out of the cab too. By the time this is over, there may be nothing left but a firewall, and that's just there to mount stuff on. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

14. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

The truck looks great.
    Betcha it feels really good /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. SCOOBYDANNN

do you have any pics of your truck that i can examine, i saw the ones of the springer, but any full on pics.

16. BadDog

No pics yet. There was a photographer on the trail with us, hopefully we can see some of his pics. There was also some video being taken. If nothing shows up, I'll pull it out and take some setting in the street or something. Not much to look at really, just a cab, hood and core support setting on a bare frame with 4" lift and 42" TSLs...