Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally smoked my 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Nov 21, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Went and did a little mudding Sunday, I pulled into this hole and tried to back out and guess what?? No Reverse?? I dont know how but I lost reverse. I still have all of the forward gears just no reverse. Needless to say it made for a challenging day, since I couldnt back up anywhere. Any ideas, why I smoked reverse. I pulled the tranny already and bought a rebuild kit. I am going to give it a whirl and see if i can build this bugger myself...

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Good luck!! I'm on my 6th 700r4 in 224,000 miles, so this time its coming out and going to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, what PIECES OF CRAP these 700s are!!!!!! And no, I'm not spending $1500+ on a Jet, only to have it last 10,000 miles longer!!!! F-it all!!! It's getting what it shouldda had in the first dang place, a TH400!!!!

ken

3. GONZO

GONZO Registered Member

wow 6 trannies in only 224k miles! is the 700r4 that bad?
    my 85 has a 3spd auto (have not seen another like this) any way of telling what type trany it is? i would really like to have a 4spd auto for a better overdrive (got 4.10 gears) on the highway. i'm close to 180k miles on the blazer now and my current tranny has not given me any problems yet, but in case it does i'm trying to get info on the 4spd auto's. when i called a tranny shop to get some prices on gettin a 4spd auto the guys said to keep the one i got that it was probably stronger than the 4spd, they can't be that bad?

<font color=blue>85 k5 Blazer 4x4
    99 Trans am 30th anniversary
    79 Trans am [​IMG]

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yes they are, in fact, THAT BAD! By all means keep what ya got, its either a TH400 or a TH350...back in the 80s there was booming business in selling adapters to replace the 700s in 4x4s with TH350 or TH400 trannys. There was a booming business for a reason, THE 700s ARE JUNK!!! Yeah, they slightly fixed them in the late 80s, but for all intensive purposes, they are not meant to haul around 6,000 pounds, let alone tow anything substantial. Lots of specialty shops will tell you they can build a 700 that will last, but ask just normal tranny shops what their unbiased opinion is of the 700, and I believe the consensus will be how I've described it...700s SUCK!!!

ken

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Although Ken is entitled to his opinion as he has experienced a lot of problems with 700r4s, I myself wouldn't go any other way. The fuel mileage on my 84 is pitful enough with the overdrive, and I'd hate to see what it would get without it. As to comments regarding the durability, my 83 6.2/700r4 half ton towing a 3500lb trailer all through the Canadian Rockies has performed without a problem year in, year out.

If you keep a 700r4 cool and clean, it will take good care of you. 90% of tranny failure can be attributed to excessive heat and dirty ATFor tranny filters.

6. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

I just dropped my 700R4 off tonight to the shop for my first rebuild (115K miles). Two years ago I over-heated it towing in 110 degree weather. Well it lasted until two weeks ago (smoked all gears). I'm having corvette servo's and other hop up stuff installed, should be ready by the weekend.

http://www.tjcommons.com/88K5/

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

o.k guys I tore into my tranny last night, Turns out that I smoked the reaction carrier assembly. I mean toasted it.. Any Ideas where I can get another one? Anyone have a parts tranny?? Also I am looking into getting a new converter?? What converter do you guys think I should run?? thanks

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

My parts tranny is at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, just off Huntington Beach. Happy diving!

ken

9. FLWIV440

FLWIV440 Registered Member

Ive got an 85 Blazer w/a350 turbo 3 speed,love it 700r4's are not near as heavy duty.Smoked 3 before I wised up.

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Ya see?!?! Most of those who "wise up" do so after smoking a few 700s. Me, it took 6!!! Course, I thought sure I could get one to last. WRONG! NEVER AGAIN!!!! TH400, the way it should be!!!

ken

11. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

How about putting a 4L80 in. They come behind 3/4 and 1 tons. Don't know if they bolt directly up to a small block though.

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

My 700 lasted 16yrs and finally went out about a month ago. I love it and I'm gonna stick with it.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>