Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally some progress...56k BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Sep 18, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, got a chance to go home and work on the truck this weekend and got quite a bit accomplished:

Finally mounted the new front seats, Jeg's generic black plastic with the orange and black covers. Modified the factory brackets and sliders to fit. Mounted them like 4" farther back than factory so my tall ass can actually fit.
    [​IMG]

Got around to mounting the Ford towers as well. The shocks are Pro-Comp ES9000's courtesy of Brian Wise (BozoWise). Great guy to deal with, more than helpful, and cut me a hell of a deal. They're freakin LONG.
    [​IMG]

One of the factory holes lines up with the towers, makes it nice and easy to position it the way you want it.
    [​IMG]

Once again, FREAKIN LONG
    [​IMG]

All mounted up. 4" of uptravel, 11" of downtravel. Slight inner fender mods required. I don't have the springs to keep up with 'em for now but that'll change soon enough. ;)
    [​IMG]

Decided to plumb the hydro assist this weekend too. 2" bore 8" stroke tractor ram. People who say a 2" bore is too slow for the street are whiners. I ran errands the rest of the weekend with it and I love it. I can now stand outside the truck and turn the wheel with 1 finger. The ring around the diff that you can't see very well is courtesy of Kert at DIY4x. It's a custom piece that's 1/2" thick and beefy as hell. He was very willing to work with what I wanted and made sure all the details were covered, made it up in almost no time and it was cheap too. Ram mounted:
    [​IMG]

Upper rad. hose for extra capacity:
    [​IMG]

Box drilled and tapped:
    [​IMG]

Hoses:
    [​IMG]

Whole setup:
    [​IMG]

Also ditched the top and tailgate for good, man it looks like a fairy when it's on shop rollers.
    [​IMG]

Made a switch panel to go in place of the cupholders:
    [​IMG]

Next weekend I'll mount the rear shocks. Shocks are from Black Mesa Offroad and the tabs are from DIY 4x4. I'm also going to make a winch mount for the 8274 that's on the way. And finally, cut out some of the panels and narrow the rear 12-14" on each side. Wish me luck, there will be plenty more pictures next Sunday.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Looking good. Next weekend is too long to wait! Thanks for the props!

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

looking good man. looks kinda like someones been in a little bit of mud haha. keep the updates coming.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

1/2" is for sissys, you need the full 1" :p:
    [​IMG]

JK looks good though :D
    And yes I have the 15" shocks as well, they are alos a pita to compress with the nitrogen in them :wink1:

5. mikey_d05

I could have gotten a better picture of the diff. ring if I'd have actually cleaned it. Eh well, it's just gonna get dirty again. :D

Yeah, I got third in a mud race about a month ago and the truck has yet to see a hose.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't thinking when I cut the first wire and watched it expand. Oops, oh well, I'm a big guy, they weren't all that hard to compress again.

EDIT: Things I learned while doing these mods.
    #1. When drilling the bottom hole on the steering box, it's better to miss high than low.
    #2. A 2" ram is not too slow for the street, even without any pump mods.
    #3. To bleed the steering system after you hook up the ram, turn the wheel lock to lock 20 or so times, take a break, and do it again. Then you MIGHT have most of the air out.
    #4. Rivets suck.
    #5. When you go to three different shops looking for custom hydro hoses on a Saturday, try the fourth, it's the one that'll work out.
    #6. Rich people hate dirty trucks, and police officers hate dealing with complaints from rich people about dirty trucks on their street. Police officers also don't appreciate having their pictures taken to prove such an occurance.

6. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

sweet, i have those same shocks, there not on my blazer but i hoping to get them mounting up asap. Sweet mods though, cant wait to see the dove tail rear.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Glad to see you got some progress going there bud. Glad to help. Keep the pics coming.

8. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

looks good man, how much did the seats run ya?

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Looks really good man :waytogo:

10. mikey_d05

I think the seats were like $32 a piece and the covers were ~ $40 a piece. By the time UPS got done with be for non box fees and such it was about $170 total for both.

11. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Hey Mikey, if you dont mind could you post up some more pics of that diff ring that you got from diy4x? Thanks

12. mikey_d05

Sorry man, that's about my best one right now. I never took any pictures of it clean since I was in too big of a hurry to get it on there. The best description I can give you is it's like one of his 4 bolt hydro tab mounts combined with a do it yourself diff. cover ring. I'll take some more pics this weekend when I go home again.

13. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Looks good. Was wondering what the part number was for them shocks. Looking for ones with lots of travel.

14. mikey_d05

I honestly don't know. PM BozoWise, I used the same ones he did and I totally forgot to look at the p/n's before I set 'em up.

15. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

lookin good :D

how long are your front brake lines?

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Part # for the 15" travel es9000's are summit part# EXP-ES936000 $34.95 each

17. mikey_d05

Thanks man, I hate to leave someone hanging, especially when I don't know something about my own truck. :crazy:

The brake lines are ~ 25" long. They're Pro-Comps and were on there from the PO. I'll probably relocate the hard lines to under the frame for another couple inches but they're more than enough with the stiff springs that are on there for now.

18. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks!

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How did you fasten the switch panel over top of the cup holders? Just screws?

20. mikey_d05

I took the cup holder insert out, cut a piece of 1/8" plate to ~ 6.5" x 10" and drilled four holes in the corners and used a 1/2" bit to countersink the heads a little bit, put some real aggressive screws in there and sunk 'em into the plastic. If that ever comes loose (which I seriously doubt) I'll just bolt it in.