Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally some S-TON progress

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I should have the truck fired up by end of week if all goes well and parts get here. It's been too long.

It will get tubework on the rear and cage inside, plus tubework up front.

It is a little too tall at the moment, so I will have to lower it down by removing several leaves front and rear. Don't laugh at the skinnies, 42" IROK's on beadlocks will replace these when I get them mounted up - hopefully this week.

It will have a flat belly pan. Rocker skids and some Elmo Red paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

this looks like a grass hopper getting ready to pounce lol, clean looking s10, should be fun when its done

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Mudzer,
    Looks like an awful lot of lift for those tires. If you wear them out I have a mismatched set just like them.:cool1:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thought you were gonna be one of the first to try out the weld on ORD 4 link kit?

5. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Mudzer,
    Are you going to do any type of exo cage to protect that s-10 body?? Looks good so far.

6. Mudzer

Funds did not allow for the 4 link just yet. I figure a leaf sprung rig will work very well here in the Midwest anyway. It will be plenty flexy.

I do plan to build a cage around the extended cab portion and back to the rear of the frame. I will have plastic bedsides (race car roll plastic) that can be replaced easily. I will also have some tubework up front that will help protect the fenders from corner impacts.

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

It is looking sweet Neil. I hope both our asses are on the trail soon here.

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

9. Mudzer

Steve, sounds like we both have the solution for our rear spring problems. Swap-o-ramma when I get to your shop. I think I will keep the front springs and remove some leaves. I need to help out the d-shaft angle on the D60 anyway. Since I am pushing the t-cases further into the framerails, it will eventually become an issue.

I worked on the fuel cell last night. I bought a set of Holley multi-point pickups for the cell (Summit PN: HLY-12-951) as well as a slew of AN fittings and hose. I also bought some fuel cell foam to keep these planted at the bottom of the cell and hopefully to control a little in the fuel slosh/aeration. Cell will be mounted flush with bottom of rear frame between the framerails.

Steve, I finally got your shock crossmember installed after well over 3 years of ownership. I will say, it is one sweet crossmember. One of the shock holes not used, I ran the Aeroquip fuel line through. I will mount my air tank on top of this crossmember. In front of the crossmember, I think I will either have my radiator mounted (unless I can find a shorter rad) along with the battery box and trans cooler with fan. Moving the radiator to the rear will allow me to get creative with a winch mount/ front bumper. I want to cut off the extra frame in the front. I think I will also find a factory S-10 grille and hack it up to keep some of the factory look up front.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am looking forward to you finishing man. Looks really good.

11. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

That thing is awesome! Is it a K5 chassis?

12. Mudzer

The chassis is a Short-Bed Chevy 4x4 frame that was 118" WB. I installed an ORD 2.5" flip out back with 6" lift 56" long springs and up front it has 6" 52's. I flipped the 56's backwards to move the rearend back another 4" for a WB of 122".

The Cab is mounted using 2"x4"x.25" wall tubing that is bolted to the frame and will be used for the outriggers for the rock sliders, plus has the body mount bushings welded into the tubing. I used Fab Bushing kits and spring hanger brackets from ORD. Very Solid stuff.

I now will weld plate to the interior floor just above these mounts and thats where the Cage will mount. This should create a stiffly mounted cab with little flex at the mounting points.

I have a doubler that is clocked up so the bellypan will be flat. It has a D60 front with locker and 14 bolt out back with Detroit. I plumbed the brakes to where the front recieves a single drop and his hardlined out to the flex to the calipers. I have plumbed the rear to accept a CNC Cutting brake in the lines that split off to individual lines going to the calipers on the 14bolt.

Engine is a 355 Jasper Crate Motor with Holley Pro-Jection. Trans is TH350.

I plan on doing cagework and rear tubework. The rear will incorporate "bed sides" that will taper back to the width of the frame.

I have 42" IROK's mounted on home built Beadlocks.

I am currently working on the fuel cell - it is an RCI 16 gallon circle track cell with some modifications. I bought the Holley multi-point pickup kit from Summit, then bought some AN fittings and Aeroquip push-on hose. There will be 3 pickups in the tank for multiple angles to keep from having fuel starvation problems.

I will post up more pics real soon.

13. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

its lookin pritty touch and im liking the chopped fenders and now the hood is
    luke

14. Mudzer

Heres a couple new pics with the 42" IROK's mounted up front for a ghetto ride. I guess I need to lower the rear some since it still sits arse high with the 31" tires mounted out back!

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pics, I need to adjust the digital camera exposure for dark garage. Ghetto fabulicious. I broke the 7/32" socket head tonight so I only finished two tires.:mad: I had to turn on some heat to get the tires warm enough to mount. First one was a real bear.

[​IMG]

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Nice! I like the idea of running smaller tires in the rear for additional gearing. :grin:

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That thing is looking great! Keep up the good work.

17. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

i thought you said you were going to make some progress and get it fired last week:laugh:
    Oh well, we are into some transfer case to seat issues on the S duece I am building. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332571
    All is good, though, the link tubing comes today:cool1:
    keep plugging away and give me an idea as to whether you would come to disney with us in april

18. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

on second though, looking at yours, what is your bottom of frame height and your top of cab height with it at ride height like that. I am worried about this one being too tall, but it looks like yours is taller yet.

the one I am on is 84" at top and 34" under frame. Flat belly. I wanted as low of a cog as possible.

19. Mudzer

I'll check these dimensions tonight. Mine is definately taller than I wanted so I plan to work on the spring packs after I get the rear tires mounted, battery tray/battery installed and every little thing that might affect ride height.

Yeah, I thought I would have it fired up already. It was a long week.:grin:

20. Mudzer

More progress, I am stoked!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]