Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally, swamped truck pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. Finally, here are the swamped truck pics from my wheelin trip a few weeks ago.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1398256&a=10443840

I guess it's not really much of a story although I was pretty excited about it.

I was trying the puddle cause, even at stock, I had the highest ground clearance in the group. I got in, couldn't go any further and backed out fine. Then my dumba$$ tried to get a running start and jammed it in there good. I was pulled out pretty easily from the back. No major problems from it. Flooded my tranny with water so I am still working on diluting that. And of course flooded my cab. That's about it.

Just another story of The Stuck [​IMG].

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oops! Have you checked the lube in the differentials since that little outing? You don't want to have water in there. I'd also check the wheel bearings up front after a dunking like that. Water gets in everywhere when you're in that deep.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

4. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Damn John,

You catch any fish? That is WET!

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Naw, but I almost caught a cold! And I caught a whole lotta sand everywhere once the water left the mud!
    Interior, starter, tranny, everywhere!

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ah, isn't that a great feeling having water coming in the cab and ya just keep on going? :)

I have had water up over the front of my hood and the water was so deep on the inside that it was over the bottoms of my seats and I was literally standing on the seat ot stay dry. Then a few more feet down the river later and it sucked in water. I was glad it died though, because if I would have went a few more feet, it woul dhave went off a huge drop off! Can you say submarine Blazer? I wish I had pics, but they never surfaced. I had so much water in the engine that when I drained the oil i fill a 5 gallon bucket! And I still had a lot of water shooting out of the spark plug holes!!
    After I changed the oil and plugs, she purred fine!!! :)

Nice Pics Panther!!!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Alright Harry, here's another one for ya! [​IMG]

The answer is (obviously) no since my question is how do you do that!

Thanks much.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I like the water fall pic.

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

9. HarryH3

To check the diffs, pull the fill plugs and stick your finger in to see if the gear lube still looks like gear lube. If there's water in it, it will look more like a chocolate milk shake. Since the front diff isn't churning the stuff up unless the hubs are locked, the oil and water may have separated. But if there's much water in there, then the diff will seem overfilled when you remove the plug and lube will run out.

To check the wheel bearings you need to at least pull the locking hubs and look for any traces of water. If you find any, it's time to clean and repack the bearings. Replace the seals while you have it apart. I also go ahead and pull off the spindles and put some grease in the needle bearing for the axle that is inside the back of the spindle. There's another seal back there that you should replace while it's apart.

Isn't playing in the water fun? [​IMG]

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks Blink [​IMG], it shoulda been a video tape. The guy took the pic when I first opened up the door. Then five minutes later, I said hey why don't you take another pic of it still pouring out! Of course there aren't any pics of when I did the same exact thing on the other side!

11. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Those are some cool pictures! Where was that, Forked River? I gotta get down to the Pine Barrens sometime, I cant seem to find mud deep enough up here.</font color=blue>

12. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey BigGray. Naw that was in Wharton State Forest. I haven't made it up to the Pine Barrens/Forked River area yet. Check out the NJFourWheelers mailing list. Those guys go around Forked River about every weekend.
    http://www.njfourwheelers.com

It had rained that morning and some the previous two days I believe, so it was kinda wet. It was mostly trail riding. That was about the only large puddle we came to. I put another photo in the album.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1398256&a=10443840&p=35399106

That was after I left, but it probably some of the only other mud out there. We of course didn't go on all the trails, but nothing else of what we saw was as bad as the puddle I was in (thank God [​IMG] ).

13. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Like the last one too ... too much fun!

14. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

good luck on cleanin out the inside
    lol!!
    awesome pics!

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

damn, usually around here we use boats to go fishing in, but to each their own.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

16. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Epilogue (as always)

Hey everybody. Here's an epilogue to my swamped truck story.

I took care of my tranny problem. Thanks to HarryH3, I called around and found a place that would flush the tranny. I took it there and they found the governor was bad too so they fixed that also. It runs great now.

But he noticed (as I suspected) that the whining noise I had was coming from the rear diff. So it seems the bearings going into the axle at the driveshaft are shot. So I gotta take it back next week and get those replaced and hope there aren't teeth in the bottom of my pumpkin!

He said that really shouldn't be from any water in the axle though. While it's in next time, he's gonna change the oil in the front diff too.

That's about it. I guess it's not too bad. Plus I had a lotta fun that day wheelin. I just keep my head outta my a$$ and make sure every trip doesn't cost me this much!

Thanks for all the help guys!

17. HarryH3

Re: Epilogue (as always)

Glad to hear there wasn't any real expensive damage! One of my submarine maneuvers cost me about $2500. When a rod is hanging out the side of the block, you're having a bad day... [​IMG]

18. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Me and Emmettology GOTTA wheel with you,dude...yer a nut! HA- You'll LOVE hittin' Webb road man- plenty of agua. Give me or Mike an e-mail anytime your ready to make the journey down (over?). UP PERISCOPE!

"I'm not stuck...I just dropped my beer in my lap"

19. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I can't do that sh!t all the time! Besides if I come out there, I gotta make it home! We can just leave me hooked up to one of ya so we can save time when I get stuck! I saw those hellacious pics!

I told Mike to let me know when you guys are going out. With a little notice ( &gt; week ), I'll come out there and make a weekend trip out of it!

Just don't forget about me over here! [​IMG]