Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FINALLY! The blazer is alive! But my new blazer is DOING BETTER.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 19, 2006.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Yup, tonight I put a new battery in, cleaned all the connections and installed the alternator and it fired right up after a long dormate winter. All I need to do now is fix the speedo gear and get the new exhaust put on (and the 4.56's in the front).

First... I have the 87 K5 with 35's and 4.56's. Rolling through town following people my speedo says 65-75MPH (driving through town 35max usually with traffic, speedo is way off). So I need to know what gear I'm looking for to recalibrate the speedo gear. I have the number of a place here in Indy that can get them but I need to know what tooth (I think factory is 28tooth? right? And I need to move to a 31 or 32 tooth? Is that right?)

Second... My little Blazer is a 2000 ZR2 S10 Blazer and I'm having some starting issues with it. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1530882#post1530882

Started small, checked connectors, fuses, spark. Everything looked ok. Went back out that night, truck fired up! Drove it around a couple days then it stopped again. Next day, no spark swapped out the cap and rotor, had spark wouldn't start. Tapped the valve on the fuel rail, banged on the gas tank and it started! Drove it around a few days and it stops again. Still not hearing the fuel pump kick on and off and the fact that releasing pressure ont he lined helped it start we thought weak or bad fuel pump. Swapped out the Fuel pump and fuel filter (tossed in the K&N air filter I had in the garage), truck fires up and drives around great, tons of power!
    Next morning go to get the battery for the big blazer and it won't start! WTF! :mad: Check spark it looks weak, heard the pickup module can cut in and out so we pull it out and replace it, put everying back together, check for spark, looks good, but still won't start! Only things left I can think of are the MAP/MAF sensor and the computer. Anyone have any other ideas, ways to test, I'm not use to the new FI setups. :ears:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

lOOK AT REPLY # 10 HERE http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121705

I tried 4.56 and 34.5 inch tall tires and come up with 40 tooth ( black ) if you have a 15 tooth grey in the tailhousing .

It would be a 48 tooth which I can't find if you have 18 tooth blue in the tailhousing .

Always use smaller than your tires when figuring .

And when you buy yours buy mine , I STILL HAVEN"T DONE MINE :wink1:

I did use my laptop and GPS to see how off
    I am :thumb:

3. 79pen

79pen Registered Member

is it still getting fuel ? If not try the fuel pump relay.

4. jjlaughner

yeah the fuel pump relay is in the fuse box, the same as the washer relay I swapped them, still nothing.

I did just try to tap the valve again and turned the truck over there's no gas spraying out like last time.... WTF! You can hear the pump kick on and you can hear fuel returning when the pump is kicked off. Metering valve maybe?

5. jjlaughner

I don't want to sound off too soon but this last time looks to be a line in the tank popped off the fuel pump. We could hear fuel splashing around in the tank but non coming out of the fuel filter when I unhooked the line. The rebuild kit did not mention using hose clamps, the factory line was not clamped. Hopefully the new fuel pump, filter, and now the new clamps workout!

Now I have a loud whurraling noise at RPM like a bad bearing but sounds like a bad ground in a stereo.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

reminds me from back in school we did the same thing, but it wouldn't start at all. it was the new vortec 4.3 (94 s10) and required the clamps. glad you got that part figured out.