Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finally time to lift it!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CruisinK5, Nov 13, 2000.

1. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

Well I have been riding around with a cracked leaf spring and it broke clean in half Friday when I had to slam on brakes. So instead of just replacing the spring I decided now is the time to lift it. I am going with 4 inches. What are yall's opinions on Rough Country and Genuine Suspension lifts, pros/cons? Is there anything else I need besides the drop-down steering arm? Is there anything I need to look out for? And is 4 inches enough to clear 35" tires or should I go with 33"s? Sorry about all the questions at once, but I am kinda moving ito uncharted territory. Any help would much appreciated [​IMG].

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 4" Rancho lift. Raised steering arm, and 35's. I used to have 33's on 10" rims and they used to rub the back of the fenders when it was flexed out. My 35's are on factory 16.5"x6.75" rims and also would rub when flexed out, nothing a little fender trimming didn't fix though.[​IMG]http://communities.msn.com/tRustyspics here's some pics to give you an idea.
    I've heard "Rough country" is, well rough.[​IMG] Genuine I've never heard of.
    Longer brake lines are a good idea. Also shocks made for a 4" lift are a must, the stock length just won't do. The shocks should come with the lift kit though.
    HTH

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Genuine Suspension is supposed to be 4 Wheel Parts Wholesaler's "budget lift". If you ever noticed in the ads, it is also the least expensive one advertised in their catalog. I have a Rancho 4" with 33" BFGs. My truck is a pavement pounder so I never have to worry about the tires rubbing. I think it also has the stock steering arm. I have heard you don't really need it for 4" of lift. If you just use your truck on the street, you should be alright using blocks in back, but it looks as if you are going to have to buy the kit with the front/rear springs, now. One thing that I HIGHLY recommend is that you lower your transfer case. Do yourself that favor!!! I drove mine around for a year without lowering it and the vibrations just about killed me. It is very easy to lower the t-case. Just look at one of the posts on how to do it. I just did mine yesterday and I'm kicking myself for not having done it sooner.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well cruisink5, Im in the same boat, trying to find help for which lift to get for the money.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey guys call Superlift!
    They have LIFETIME warrenty!
    I am using their rear spring packs I think the SoftRide version and they work GREAT!
    Oh and I have 4"front Rancho and 5 1/2" rear andd I didNOT have to drop the Xfercase, pinion angles can be adjusted with dagree shims and longer driveshafts.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have the genuine susp. 6" lift on mine, it's *ahem* a little harsh, but I kept the cheapo shocks that came with the kit.
    I imagine if you put in a decent set of shocks like some rs9000's if would be a lot nicer.
    But it's a truck, so screw it.
    -- Mike

An advantage of a harsh ride - no kidney stones. :)

7. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I appreciate yall's imput, keep it coming, one can never have to much info. I no everyone is tired of replying to the "lift kit questions" because it is the same the thing over and over,but I just recently starting paying attention to these kind of posts. Right now it looks like it is going to be Superlift.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"