Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally took pics of my AutoMeter project...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice lil disconnect so if I need to the whole cluster pops out /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    nice clean install /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Looks Great! I like the connector...very good idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I like the toys on the work bench, nice clean install too /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Looks great Burt! Should I ask what is the status with the engine or is that a sore subject like asking about my body guy's progress?

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the Positive comments /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

hahaa The BBC is almost ready /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif My engine guy is putting it together now. The machine work and balancing are or should be just about complete /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    You can see my MPFI intake sitting there waiting to be mounted This BBC is gonna be sweet!
    Here is my rig sittin in the garage sideways /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
    [​IMG]
    I'll be sure to post up when the new heart beat arrives /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Damn, you do great work...

I still can't get my tach to work right with the HEI...

ummm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif maybe a new tach would work...

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool, Thanks.
    When I ran a VDO tach w/MSD the tach would go up to about 1400rpm then slam down to 0 and stay there even though the RMPs were screamin. MSD sent me an inline 'filter' to resolve the issue. the 'filter' looked like a capacitor or some kind of componet in shrinkwrap with two leads to wire it up inline with the tach wire. Maby you need something like that?

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Looking good!

Thats one thing I wish i did is 1 connector, not a bunch of individual ones.

Did you buy the connector kit, or make it from scratch, if that makes sense?

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I got the 15pin connecter from:
    http://www.painlessperformance.com/catalogframe.htm

QUICK CONNECT TERMINAL KITS
    Make your own locking quick connect plugs easily and quickly. Each kit includes a male and a female connector and the appropriate number of terminals
    #40006 - 2 Wire kit
    #40007 - 3 Wire kit
    #40008 - 4 Wire kit
    #40009 - 6 Wire kit
    #40010 - 9 Wire kit
    #40011 -12 Wire kit
    #40012 -15 Wire kit

A local SpeedShop had them in stock...I think,think, it was like 10bucks or so??can't recal??
    I still have to wire and pin the other side but should make for an easy in and out of the gage cluster /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

too sweet burt. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Are those the autometer 2 1/16" gauges that fit perfect??

Thats a rockin first gen you got there brother. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I can't recal right away wich ones I got...I used the same ones Greg did. Well I have diferent gages than him but the same size.
    Autometer Sport Comp is the 'flavor'...Hold on I know how i can find out...bee right back... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Got it!
    [​IMG]

This is = Gauge, Sport Comp, Oil Pressure, 0-100 psi., 2 5/8 in., Analog, Electrical, part # ATM-3522

That is the exsact oil pressure guage I used. Now keep in mind inorder to get the guages to fit flush against the clear plastic of the guage cluster you have to carefully pry off the guage's outer ring to remove the glass cover. This of corse voids the warenty I'm sure...oh welll
    Here is a pic I stole from Greg
    [​IMG]
    Fun Stuff /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah the painless harness is what im going to switch to. I dodnt remember it being out when I did my guages.

Was it a lot harder to mount them that way? I just left the bezels arouns the guages and put them in.

15. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So, by removing the bezel on the gauge, is there still a lip to retain the gauge?? I'm assuming you bored a hole in the steel "backing" that basically holds the clear plastic in its place, and mounted your new gauges into that steel "backing"?? I'm trying to figure this out because I liked the way that Greg and you did it and want to "borrow" your ideas for my Sub because a couple of my o.e. gauges are inop and I need to add a couple different ones for monitoring the Cummins.

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes, there is a lip on the guage housing.
    What I did:
    Each guage has a cardboard sleave that slides over the main body of the guage. This carboad piece makes for a great template to the size of hole that is needed.
    Yes, the inside metal piece is what I cut. GM has grooves and circles on this piece of steel. So it is easy to find the right place to set your template on and draw a circle on the steel by using the INSIDE of the cardboard sleave.
    HUGE TIP from Greg that saved me. Put your circle as far 'down' on the steel plate as you can. You will see what I mean when you start doing it.
    as far as mounting the guages, I simply used the mounting hardware that came with the guages.
    Except for the Tach. The tach's supplied retainer bracket was too short to squeese the guage to the metal plate. So I got me a small pice of steel,OSH store, bent it and driled the two holes for the guage mounts..worked great.
    Hmmm, the wireing was all soldered(sp?) It was fun routing all the wires to one side, lableing them and using that 15pin socket too. You will need a pin crimping tool to make the socket work. I use to repair copy machines so i already had one and knew how they crimp.
    Oh and I used Auto Meter replacement bulbs/sockets to replace the facotory buld/sockets that run off that circit board thingy that GM used. Wich reminds me, that circut board thing is your wireing digram also, I simply followed the path of the copper to figure out how the factory stuff wired up. Then replicated the copper path with wire /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hope this helps and was clear
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. mosesburb

This may sound like a dumb question but what did you use to cut the holes with?? Hole-saw, tin snips, die grinder?? I can see issues with each one, so I was wondering what worked for you.

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Not dumb at all...
    I used a dremal with cut-off wheels. Also a metal file and what is called a nibbler. The nibbler was a left over copy machine tool from way back when I use to repair Kodak copiers. It is a hand held tool that you squeese while placing the metal in the groove. It has a very small block on it the shape of \ it takes lil 'bites' out of the metal, you can get a nice flat cut but I noly used this for the 'fine tuning' of the hole size. I belive you can easliy get it done with a dremal and good file. I kept my hole small as I was afraid of taking away too much metal were the lip on the gage whould not hold. It was fairly simple once I got the first hole created.
    Hope this helps
    Burt

19. mosesburb

Excellent!! I know the exact tool you are referring to as the nibbler.
    Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Nick

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool! Your welcome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif