Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finally up and running again! Guys at Les Swab are dumb!!!!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by FLASHLIGHT76, Mar 11, 2003.

1. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Well It's been a while but I'm back! I just finished swapping in my old rebuilt 10 bolt front to replace the completely distroyed d44. I some how managed to blow the driverside u joint and the pinon gear at the same time. I decided that one I was going to replace it I should correct alot of the geometry problems I've been having. So I installed a 6 degree shim at the spring perches to correct my pinon and help with my bump steer problem. What a blessing that turned out to be. Now my steering dosn't lock hard over when I peg out. plus the drive shaft doesn't hit the exhaust cross over at full droop. Well I had the ball joints all done and after the install realized that my camber is off. So I took it too Les Swab for an alienment. After they had my truck for 5 hours /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I recieved a phone call from the shop tech. Apparently my truck is unsafe to drive, his words. So I go back to pick it up. He told me that he couldn't do the alienment because I don't have any lateral track bars on the front or rear, and that my sway bar was missing. I took one look at the guy and asked him what he was talking about. He said that the axles have to be ridgedly attached to the frame! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I then politely explained to him the basic principle of leaf spring suspensions. After I argued with the guy for 15 minutes I noticed a 97 Chev 1500. I told him to look under the back of that truck and I assured him he would find no track bar or sway bar. After he looked at it he shook his head and said thats not right. I jerked my keys out of the guys hands and told him not to come anywhere near my truck again! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The worst part is he is suposed to be the top expert at the shop. Very scary. So I ordered the sway bar disconnect and zero rates for the rear and I'm much happier. Although I now have to find a different shop to take my Sub too. Ok I'm done ranting. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, I'da pulled my keys away a helluvalot faster then that.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Verrrryyyy scary..........did ya ask the manager his opinion? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

thats pretty scarey,ive had a few run ins with "experts" before.from machine shops that dont use cam lube on rebuilds because it might clog the filter to exhaust shops that dont know what a Y pipe is.
    but an alignment shop that dont know suspensions is frightening.good thing you didnt get the brakes done.
    goodluck

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

What brought you into Les Schwab's in the first place? I can completely understand the whole buying local theme - I agree with it entirely. Maybe there's an alignment center near your place that you can trust?

Someone should devote a website to keeping track of less than professional shops so the rest of us can benefit from your experience - something like www.resellerratings.com only for things like alignments, axles, etc.

I have to wonder if the guy in the shop knew which way was up that day! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Wow!....unbelieveable! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Was it the first time the guy had ever looked under a vehicle? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Unfortunantly there isn't that many shops to choose from in this town. I'll probably end up driving a ways to find someone I can trust. There used to be a guy there who knew his stuff but he quit. I wonder why! I have to do some more stuff before I try again. This little town is loaded with "experts" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif