Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FINALLY!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGDAN112686, Oct 7, 2003.

1. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

after goin to see many different trucks, i finally got one. this past sunday i purchased a 1990 k5. its only had one owner, who kept it in great condition. i just thought i'd let everyone know, and ask a couple questions. im lookin to go with a 6" lift(not sure what kinda yet, maybe tough country front w/ the ak-57 rear) and 35's. the only problem is, findin someone to lengthen the front shaft. if anyone in the charlotte, nc area could recomend a shop that would be great. thanks.

2. BIGDAN112686

also, will i only need to get the front shaft redone, if so how much? and is there any other way around this. thanks.

3. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Dan- I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a shaft shop in Charlotte. Yellow pages under driveshafts, speed shops, calling NAPA parts stores for recommendations, all should work to find a shaft shop.
    In Raleigh, I've been happy working with Fleet Pride, a medium to heavy duty truck service center. Fleet Pride has a location in Charlotte, at 596-6967. The FP location here has lengthened a Scout front drive shaft for me, and straightened out a bent Scout rear driveshaft from another truck. I'm aware that the K5 shafts are different than the Scout shafts, but there was every shape and size of truck driveshafts on the racks awaiting pickup when I got mine done, so I suspect they can help you.

Foy (cooper's dad)

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BIGDAN112686

thanks guys! but i know someone out there has to know somethin about what kind of driveshaft mods i need or a way around them. if you do, please help me out here. thanks in advance.

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks guys! but i know someone out there has to know somethin about what kind of driveshaft mods i need or a way around them. if you do, please help me out here. thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might hold out until AFTER the 6" lift is in to insure you get the proper length on the new shaft... other than that, there is nothing to it! Just get a lengthened shaft with std joints etc... unless you plan to upgrade your axles too...

Welcome to the K5 addiction! "My name is Dan, and I haven't gone wheeling in over 4 weeks!" /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan