Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finaly got my body mounts changed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stickseler, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

This is actually the first major job I've done on my truck by myself ( with a little help from the wife ). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm so glad my boss let me play hookie today since it is gona rain tomorow.

New ORD body mounts and 1" Body lift, and new 33's. I'll have to get a better pic when it's bright out but I was excited /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before: /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    [​IMG]

After: /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

Now all I've got left to do is sandblast and paint above the tank and put the new tank on underneath.

And I think the old mounts were shot:
    [​IMG]

I AM SO HAPPY WITH MYSELF /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

great job redoing the mounts! i redid mine when i first got my rig and boy what a job that was. keep up the good work.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im not even going to bother with it with the truck i got right now...i dont plan on hanginng on to this blazer to long..needs to much work and i cant afford it at my age..so i plan on driving it till i get money for a nicer rig...

4. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Nice, did you have any trouble in the bed area?

Matt

5. Stickseler

Just a few, I got everything loose without droping the tank, but the I realized I neded to drop it to get to the lower rear bushing, it's kinda between the tank and frame. One of the rear bolts spun so I choped the head off and hammered it down from the top. Ijust had to use a washer because I tore up the hole with the wizzer. I also had rust from the rot fill up one of the bushings I just hit it for a minute with the air hammer from the side till all the crap fell out and it came right out.

My other problems were:
    The washer under the cab mounts were rusted...Bought all new from LMC

The upper washer on a few of the front mounts were rusted a bit so I replaced all those too, the LMC ones were a little big for the poly mounts but I put a little lithium greas on them and they poped right on.

Once I figured out what I was dooing and got all my new parts in it only took 2 hours to replace all the mounts. It probably took 4 hours to get everything loose and apart.

Those were the only problems. I didnt use an impact, I soaked all the nuts with PB Blaster for a few days then used a 3' pipe and 1/2" drive w/extensions. The wife pulled the breaker bar while I held the ratchet. If you do it I'd recomend having new tank straps handy, One broke while I was taking it off, but I already ordered new one ( and tank, sender and pump ) I figured It's all apart may as well do it right. If anyone needs a sender check GM Parts direct they were half the dealer price.

6. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Totally cool! sounds like you have all the bases more than covered. I got mine in about a year ago, but when I got to the last 4 I discovered that the floor was sh!t, So I got a new bed floor from chevy, and I will take it from there, I bought a new pump and screen, like you said while its apart might as well change it.
    Well thanks for the info

Matt

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I did mine awhile ago.. not too bad are they... I managed to get teh rear's done w/o lowering the tank.. I've done two now w/o lowering tank...

But it is VERY difficult to get the last two bolts in with the tank still installed...

Tooke me 2 days to finalize my first one.. and 6 hours on the last one.. nearly by myself...

Congrats on your first improvement! And a job well done! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What is planned next? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Stickseler

Ive got new rearsprings coming. Ive got zero rates & Greasable bushings here, then shocks. Then its on to cutting up the inside & get the rust out. I also have new dash & guages to put in.

9. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I've done the mounts on mine, a lot of work but the results are well worth it. I'd like to see some underbody pics when you get to it. Very nice truck you got there.