Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finaly happened... I got a ticket...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, May 5, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

for everyone who's ever posted a `I got a ticket, and this sucks' and then had me go ` gee, I never get tickets, and I drive like an ass too!' well, here's your carma... I was late for work, so I was going a wee bit fast as I was cutting through my usual neighborhood... unfortunately, officer friendly had started tailing me as I left my apaprtment complex, originaly to just have a word with me about driving fast... then, as I went around a cornerI hit the go pedal a little too deeply, and had a rear tire squeak... well, apparently thats illegal in gilbert, and this cop being a sworn protector of revenue's for the TOWN ( not even a city yet ) of gilbert gave me a municiple code violation... `squealing tires on acceleration' IK have no idea if this is a moving voilation, or how big a fine I face for it... hell, in proper cop fasion, I can't read my copy of the ticket, ( its the 5th copy down from the original that he was writing on like he was going to break it... ) so, I can't get an ARS code, or MC code or anything... the only thing I can read is the ticket number at the top, the court date ( thankfully) and that he put an X over `municiple code violation' and not `civil traffic' or `criminal traffic' all I'm hoping is that this isn't `display of power' he wrote me up under, since if it is, there's an instant 9 points, 300+ dollar fine, and possible 6 month to 2 year suspension of license.... I don't believe it to be the display of power once, since thats a criminal infraction, and I would not have dirven away from that one....I don't think... oh well, I'm not too pissed at the officer, I was going too fast, and I had no excuse for it. if its a moving violation, I can make it to traffic school... if its just a municiple code violation, I can pay the city fine, of whatever, and be done with it... if its the criminal display of power, I'll aim for traffic school, and probably meet him in court...

oh well, there you guys all go... my clean driving record of 2 years has been soiled over again, and the bitches at gilbert PD are on the lookout for me.

-Rich

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had to go to traffic school when I was 22. The funny part was we read from a book as the class, wrote the answers down while readings. Also, after the class, everyone would light up thier tires leaving the parking lot. I drove a megabuilt 85 Monte Carlo at the time. In my opinion, it was just a way for the county to get another $100.00 on top of the fines we already had to paid.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I don't know about where you are, but here in NJ, if you go to traffic school and get a ticket within a certain time period, your license gets suspended. Something to think about before signing up.

4. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Now Rich, I've SEEN you drive............ /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Seriously, that bites! Good luck. I think you can either take the Traffic School OR fight it, but you have to make up your mind quickly. I tend to like to fight them. I just got out of a "No trailer lights" ticket by fighting it. Someone must have pissed on the cops coffee,'cuz he was a real jerk about it. Wasn't even dark yet, but technically it was after dusk...

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd fight it and argue that "positraction" is the reason why your tires squealed.
    I'd offer to take the judge out to the parking lot and let him drive your truck so he can see why the tires chirped around a corner. It's called a detroit locker. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If it's municipal code, 20 to 1 it's the "excessive use of fossil fuels" racket - Last time I got one in Gilbert (1998) it was a big $15 fine with no points, no record. Gilbert city magistrates seem to be a straight bunch - be honest and you'll probably walk away scot free. If you call the court they can give you a clear copy of the citation - know what you're fighting and/or caving to.

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm going ot call them as soon... well, tomorrow since its after 6 PM, and there's no way a government employee would be at work later then that... :-P I'll try when I get home anyway, since my court date says 630 PM.... if its a 15 dollar non moving violation, then I'll just pay the tiny fine, and be done with it. if its a derivative of `wrecklessness and endangerment' or `display of power' ( which both carry 8-10 points, 300-600 in fines, plus suspensions) then I'll probably opt out for traffic school if I can... if not, then I'll goto court, and politely explain what happened, ( no locker, or positrack, but if you hit the go pedal too hard too soon, it chirps) and hope for the best. since its so late at night, there's a chance the officer won't show either.

I havn't had any real problems with gilberts officers either, who generaly just pull you over to make sure you're not drunk, and to point out broken tail lights that could net you a ticket if they're not fixed eventually.

also, Erich, I don't always rev the engine while sliding sideways through traffic like that time you watched me at the gas station... only when someone really pisses me off, and won't let me over for 1/2 a mile...

I go home now, and try to call the courts...

-Rich

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Fight it. I got a speeding ticket in San Diego, CA, in August and a "speed excessive for conditions" ticket in Kent County, Michigan about two months ago. Beat both of them. Well, the MI one I had to pay the $70 fine, but no points, so that's fine by me.

The Cali one I did the trial by mail. It's a great thing to do if your area's judiciary system is setup for it because the cop has to write up a nice and tidy rebuttle of your claim. Most won't do it because they are supposed to do it in their spare time, unpaid. Mine was bogus anyways, but it said "officer did not provide evidence", and there was a check for the refund of my fine./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The Michigan one I just went in and talked with a magistrate and the officer. Said I was doing 20 under the speed limit, which I was, and had no way of knowing the road suddenly got worse in the area I had just driven into. Got off with just the fine.