Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finding a 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by neverendingproject, Dec 11, 2005.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I need to get a 10 bolt front axle for my blazer because my new rearend has 3.73 and my front is still 3.08, so I was wondering, how rare is a 3.73 front end with 6 lugs? I was thinking an older Dana 44 with the flat-top knockles already on them, but from what ive heard the 10 bolts are better. I would like D60 but I want to keep both my kidneys, so I will try and find one later.

Back to the subject. Most blazers and 1/2 ton 4x4's ive seen from our era are 3.08, so any ideas????

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

10 Bolts and D44's are about the same in strength. It shouldnt be too hard to find either in that ratio. Its a pretty common ratio. I wouldnt pay more than about $150 for one in good working order though.
    -Harrison

3. neverendingproject

Well my uncle owns a JY so price wont be an issue, is there anything i should look for? i just have to go and look to see what hes got.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Just look at the axle to make sure it appears to be in good working order. Then pull the cover to check the gears. Thats all.
    -Harrison

5. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

3.73s are fairly common...moreso in the older models I think...so look for 73-80-ish trucks. As already stated, the D44 and 10b at about the same as far as strength so you should probably just go with whichever one you find in good condition first. Flat-top knuckles (older D44s) are always a plus if you plan to do x-over steering eventually.

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 10 bolt with 3.73's sitting in my garage right now. I got it for free and stole the shafts and hubs off it too bad you aren't closer if CK5 express comes through here and are heading your way you can have it!

7. neverendingproject

Im flying into Utah for spring break. I wonder if and axle could be considered carry-on. :D :D :D

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got a 28spline carrier with 3.73s on it that im looking to get rid of. that way you can keep ur front axle, jus swap the gears and pinion in. let me know if ur interested.
    -james

9. neverendingproject

muddybuddy, definetly interested, but am I gonna have to set up shims or can I just drop it in? I dont really want to set up shims and such, but let me know and maybe we can make a deal.

10. J.R.

J.R. Guest

my 89 came with factory corp 10 with 3.73.. i thought most k5's with towe package had 3.73's..

11. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I know that the "Siverado" models had 3.73's in them.

12. neverendingproject

My Silverado came with 3.08's form the factory. :crazy:

13. J.R.

J.R. Guest

mine is a silverado with the towe package. came with 3.73 and 31x10.5 tires.

14. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Why not just buy some gears for it? I have some 3.73's for a 10 bolt front if your interested. :D

15. twhit

twhit Newbie

If you keep your carrier and replace the ring and pinion with 373's reuse your pinion bearing (if good) and pinion shim and crush collar as the shim is usually based on how the housing was machined and usually shouldn't change. don't mix up the shims on either side of the carrier and you shouldn't have any problems. checking the backlash and tooth contact pattern is fairly simple and has a lot of documentation out there, if you need installation instructions i can get you some.