Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finding a tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Nov 13, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

well, called and got a rough estimate from a mechanic i know for a rebuild on my 700r4... he said that he doesnt do them but as far as he remembered it was around $1400... :eek1: :eek1: WOW!... guess ill have to head to the junkyard.

if i find another 700 will it bolt right up? are there any years that i have to look out for or will any fit?

are there any other transfer cases that would be mounted to a 700? wouldnt mind gettin something stronger than my 208.

if i did find a sm465, how difficult is it to bolt up? i have searched and read a few threads on the swap and i still havent really decided which way i am going to go.

thanks
    -KG

2. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

your profile says 83, 6.2 diesel, if it is you will have to get a 700r4 from another diesel engine as they use different valve bodys and govenors then gas engines do. Also the 89 to 93 700's are the more desirable as they were changed slightly to make them more reliable. If you can find a passenger side drop 241 you can get rid of the slip yoke on the rear output shaft, but will have to change drive shafts.

3. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

anything else to look out for?

4. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I think the valve bodies are the same. I know for sure that the governor and torque converter are different.

If you find one behind a gasser you can use your current torque converter, or get one from the parts house for the diesel. Then all you would have to do is swap the governor from your diesel transmission over.

I am currently running a diesel 700r4 in my gas powered c10 that still has the diesel governor in it.

5. easybakeoven

easybakeoven Newbie

Does the diesel 700 work ok on the gas motor? I've got a line on a 85' diesel van 700r4 i was going to put behind my 350 in a 85 k-10, it's a rebuilt with 40,000kms on the trans. Thanks.

6. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

According to my tranny man (25 yrs experience rebuilding them for performance use) certain pressure values are different in the gas and diesel valve bodies. You can interchange them but will not get the best performance as the shift points are totally different for a diesel and gas motor. A diesel will automatically shift up throught the gears before your gas engine can really get into it's torque range solidly. You can manually shift and hold every gear until you reach the shift point you want, but why run an automatic then. Also make sure your TV cable is adjusted properly or the tranny will self distuct very quickly. If your not familiar with setting 700's tv cables a tranny shop will adjust it for free or very cheaply for you.

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is it '89? I always thought they changed to the "2nd generation" 700r4's when they did FI in '87...

Oh, and yeah that estimate is pretty high...I called a reliable tranny shop locally that has done tranny work in our cars before and he said that if I drop it and bring it to his shop so all he has to do is the rebuild I would be looking at about $1,000 if it needed a complete rebuild. So $1400 sounds a bit high...unless that included him pulling it out and putting it back in along w/ setting up the TV cable. Then it might be worth it.

-Avery