Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finding Gear Ratio?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Oct 26, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

how do you determine what ratio a differential is from just taking off the cover, i know it is stamped someware on the ring gear but how do you decifer the numbers, for example 3.73>? i really appreciate any help.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. for a 3.73 gears you take the 2 numbers and divide them. For example a 3.73 gear is 41 / 11. a 4.10 gear is 41 / 10 and a 4.56 gear is 41 / 9.
    What kind of axle are you tring to find the gear ratio in?

3. 87sm465np208

well if my rear diff taks a [censored], ill be lookin for another 10 bolt OPEN! diff, no frigen gov loc crap, i have one now and it is causeing me a nightmare, im not sure if it is unlocked yet, it will be a 10 or 12 bolt, gotta find one with 3.73's if i need one tho, hopefully in good shape, id prefer a 10 bolt since i could just take all the brake hardware off of mine and put it on the salvage yard one, since i put new brake parts on this one this last summer.

4. Ok when you look for the stap if you want 3.73 gears, it will be stapped with 41 / 11. To bad you want to stay with a 10 or 12 bolt. Cuz I have a 14 B FF with 3.73 gears in it. It does have a gov loc though but I have never had a problem with it. Well let me know how much you find one for and if your willing to meet half way. I am in NC I might be able to beat there price ok.

5. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

One question, what is a gov loc?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Gov-lock is a GM built grenade...sometimes used in the mistaken belief that it's a limited slip or locker. It is most often seen as shrapnel after exploding through the cover... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

7. 87sm465np208

useuall i hear people say that you wont have trouble with the gov loc unless you put 35's on it and are heavy on the skinny petal, but if you have 35's what are you doin with a 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, if i was to do that id put a auburn in a 12 bolt and have a dana 44 up front open, i guess im just stuck on lockers now, my first is still the gov loc, and it works great for mud, id never wanna use it on rocks tho. i guess it also depends on how much you abuse your truck too, mine cracked in half, so now i gotta find a new diff, either buy a whole new assembly or find an open diff and slam in it there and replace the pinoin beareings and stuff like that, it sucks, yea gov-locs suck.