Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finding out where an e-mail came from.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emmettology 101, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Can anyone look at the details of an e-mail and tell me where it originated?? I can forward it to you. Or copy the details and pm them to you.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just right click on it and then click on properties!

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you Krylon on PBB or I am I seeing double (posts)? :D

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

on earthlink... you can just hit "view" off the menu then "message source"... it brings up the email with full addresses..

the other poster told you how to do "properties"...

5. Emmettology 101

Yep! :D

Usually it is pretty easy to see in properties where the e-mail came from. But this one seems to be made to look like it originated from my e-mail account. BUt I know I didn't send it and the display name is different. Just trying to determine if I got hacked(or am being hacked).. Or if a friend is messing with me.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Depending on what email client you are using you will want to look for something that says "view header information", "view source", "complete header information" or something slong that line. It will show you a bunch of stuff that represents all of the mail servers that touched the email from the sender to you.

Keep in mind that it is very easy to spoof (fake) that information when sending junk email.

:whistle: :whistle:

If it's spam or a phishing attempt (trying to get personal account information) then you should forward it to your ISP so they can track it.

7. Emmettology 101

I just sent myself a test to compare the two. It definately comes up different. But it looks liek it may still be coming from the same ISP. Whoever is sending it has changed things to make it look like i had sent it. Even the return path is to me... Just wondering if there is anyway to find the originator or at least what domain/mail server it is coming from.
    Just wondering if it is a friend screwing with me.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Contact your ISP provider directly, preferably by phone. They will help you and probably ask you to forward a copy to them so they can investigate.

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

You can try to trace the IP addresses listed in the header but still no guarantee about authenticity. If you really want to know you will probably need the cooperation of your ISP or whoever owns your mail server.

The ONLY way to be 100% sure is to track through router/server logs from your mail server on back to the sender......... a long and tedious process ...... especially if you don't have administrative rights on those devices.:whistle: :whistle: