Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finding TDC? brain fart

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 25, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My friend and I are having brain farts. Working on the K5 and we can't remember to save our lives how to locate top dead center. Have the valve cover off and all I have to do is find TDC drop the distributor in, set the timing, and fire my K5 back to life!

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Take out #1 spark plug--put your thumb over the hole and crank it over in short bursts with a jumper on the solenoid,or with a helper if your lucky enough to have one--when the compression blows your thumb off the hole you know its on the compession stroke--Dont let the plug wire touch your thumb!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifthen align the marks on the harmonic balancer with the 0 or TDC mark--set your distributor in with rotor at #1 position,being careful to make sure the oil pump drive goes in all the way and it sits flush with the intake--that should let it start--but if your like me the distributor will have to moved a few times a tooth either way to get it perfect.Havent got one right on the very first try in 20 years! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You are looking for TDC on the compression stroke. To find it, align the timing marks on the balancer with both valves on the #1 cylinder closed. You can easily get the distributer in 180 degrees out by installing it with #1 at the top of its exaust stroke (you can tell because the exaust valve will be open with the piston all the way up)

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah we finally got it, right after I posted my dad showed up at the house and helped us out. I didn't call him cause I knew him he wouldn't understand what I was asking and wouldn't be able to explain when he finally got it.