Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fine tuning SWR question

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by nofeartruckin00, Nov 7, 2002.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Alright, have a question for everyone out there. I'm currently running a Cobra 29 WXNWST CB, 20' of single line coax, to a ball mount like this one..... [​IMG] , and a spring ontop of that with a 102" stainless topping it all off. When i check the SWR, i get about a 2. I had a friend further down the freeway with his CB on, and it seems that I can't broadcast or recieve. The only thing i can pick up is a weather station. When i turn all the filters off, i can't hear the static i used to be able to with my old setup.

The old setup was the same cb, same coax, only the mount was one of those mirror style ones (with the 90 degree bend) mounted to the bumper. So the only difference i have is that its a different bumper (bent & twisted), different mount, and the coax hooks up differently. With the old setup my SWR was way down around .4 and worked flawlessly.

So after all my babbling, what could my problem be? On the new style mount, the coax doesn't thread onto the mount. Instead i had to cut the end off, crimp the center lead (hot) to a connector, and that goes to the center stud part on the mount. Then the braided part of the coax got twisted together, put in a connector, and grounded to one of the bolts going thru the bumper. The only thing i can think of is that when i drilled the hole in the bumper for that center nut/stud to fit in, it was a tight fit. The hot lead is attached to that stud the nut threads onto, so if that nut is touching the bumper, is it basically grounding itself out?

Sorry for the LONG post, but i'm clueless. Thanks in advance!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Check to make sure your ball mount isn't grounded out around the mounting holes. I would also recomened a better CB. The 18WX isn't much of a radideo.

3. nofeartruckin00

Oops, scratch that. Its a 29 WX NW ST. So what you are saying is that NO part of the mount should touch the bumper, right? The only metal part touching the bumper should be the bolts and nothing else then, that makes some sense, since i guess the whole mount is live or hot. Thanks for the help!!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You should have a rubber gasket like in there. I had a ball mount on the side of my 72 K5, and a small sliver of metal was touching the center post. Coused problem till I found it and trimmed it off.

5. nofeartruckin00

Thanks for the help!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif