Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finished axel swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Aug 1, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

it only took a week to do it(2 1/2hrs per morning before work.)everything went well.thought the d/s was short but i pushed it all the way back to get it out of the way and forgot i did it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifthe u-joint was a hassle.no conversion joint needed,for some reason.the 3/4t. pinion caps are the same size as the 1/2t. d/s caps /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifworked out though!i also forgot to grind the calipers to fit the 15in. rims.tried driving it and didn't move.the front u-joints/steering knuckles...whatever need to be replaced and a little more caliper grinding on the drivers side.the rear is a gov-lock.works great.there shouldn't be any problems only running 31's for now,max of 35's w/ 33's and 3in. lift being the final plan.i don't do any wheeling and if i decide to it will only be mild stuff.i bought the truck as a huntin' rig,but decided to upgrade the axels just in case i get more involved in truck building.i get more inspired to do things when i hang out here.i have some questions that i'll post in a minute."axel swap related Q's"...see me there,please.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Re: finished axle swap

Cool man, I didn't have to swap u joints in the rear either. I took my driveshaft to a custom shop and the guy measured it 3 times and kept telling me it was already 3/4 ton end. I took his word for it and it bolted right up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Saved some dough. Now when I blow a u joint in some small town or something I won't be searching for a "Special u joint" I have the same setup as you and you should be happy with the Gov lock. the only downer about it for me is that you have to get the wheel speed up to activate the gov loc. It will kick in and shock the hell out of you on the rocks. When you upgrade tires i would recommend going with 35's. They look good under a small lift and recquire some trimming but you will be much happier with them, well at least I was.

3. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

Re: finished axle swap

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool man, I didn't have to swap u joints in the rear either. I took my driveshaft to a custom shop and the guy measured it 3 times and kept telling me it was already 3/4 ton end. I took his word for it and it bolted right up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Saved some dough. Now when I blow a u joint in some small town or something I won't be searching for a "Special u joint" I have the same setup as you and you should be happy with the Gov lock. the only downer about it for me is that you have to get the wheel speed up to activate the gov loc. It will kick in and shock the hell out of you on the rocks. When you upgrade tires i would recommend going with 35's. They look good under a small lift and recquire some trimming but you will be much happier with them, well at least I was.

[/ QUOTE ]wow,the first reply is a positive reply!thanks a-lot!35's under 3",huh?my brother is running 35's on his '97 ford w/no lift and minor rubbing and,i'll have to admit it does look tough.i'm a little leary about hacking the truck at this point,but since i just bought new tires,the 35's won't be for another 2 years at least.so by then i might have some fuzzy stuff growin' and i may actually do it.thanks for your opinion,bro.