Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finished Bed Floor.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RustyParts, Nov 9, 2005.

1. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Finally after two weeks I've got all the rust removed and rotted pieces replaced in my old Jimmy's bed. I've rust proofed, undercoated and painted it. I had to fabricate some pieces that couldn't be bought and do yourself a favor don't by any bed floor patch panels.

I bought a 16" by 48" piece to patch some rusty holes but the metal was only half as thick as the old and the floor pattern didn't match. I had to scrounge the junk yards for an old bed with some good floor left in it.

Well I guess it's on to the cab next, all the rocker boxes, cab supports, kick panels, inner and outer rocker panels and floor boards need replaced.

DON"T YOU JUST LOVE RUST!!!

DCP_2899.jpg

DCP_3000.jpg

DCP_3264.jpg

DCP_3265.jpg

2. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

Looks very good to me. I've got a few things to do to mine too.. But I don't think I have to get that deep into it.

3. RustyParts

Thanks for the kind remark.

I never intended to go this deep either, but the whole truck was full of rust and it kinda has some sentimental value also.

Only problem I have now is living long enough to get her back together. :D

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

That's awesome that you are getting all the rust out of there - it will be worth it when you get it back up and running.

5. RustyParts

Thanks, I told the other half I may have to take out a loan to by wire for my welder. :D

I just love these 1rst Gen GM trucks, I've got another a 70 SWB 4wd pickup
    thats got some rust in her too, but I gotta have something to drive.

6. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Bed floor

Nice work!!! If mine had looked as good as your old one I would have left in. Mine came apart in 5" square pcs. When you get to area on the lower "B" post, where the door latch is, let me know. Mine is all rusted out and I need some help with this area, maybe some templates or measurements would help. there doesn't seem to be any pictures around to look at. Good luck and I'll hopefully talk to you later

7. RustyParts

Yeah, I've got a lot of damage in that area also, I've made an attempt to patch part of the bedside but I don't know if it's going to work until I get ready to put the patch panel on.

Sure wish they still had all of the factory parts.

DCP_2898.jpg

DCP_2922.jpg

DCP_2974.jpg

DCP_2968.jpg

DCP_2971.jpg

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Thats quite a project you have there :D

It's sure gunna be sweet when you get done :wink1:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  9. RustyParts

Thanks for the kind words. I love doing this kind of work, just wish I had all of the equipment that the shops you see on TV had. All I have is various hammers, vise grip pliers, c clamps and a small wire welder. Maybe I should start a TV show and call it The Redneck Garage.

10. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Great work, stay with it.

It's why we get up in the morning!! :bow:

11. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Rusty bed flr.

Thanks, those pictures you just posted are exactly the ones I was looking for!!! I think I can figure it out from here I'll save those pics. in my favorites file so I can refer to them from time to time. Actually I saw VTBlazer make a mini break out of a block of steel and a hammer. His parts came out really nice!!! It doesn't always take money just your head! Looks you got a good start on it I'm about were you are now. So keep on posting. J

12. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Rusty bed floor

I just looked at your pics again and saw that I have a factory patch panel for the area your working on. I bought this one from Classic Ind, but didn't like the fit around the wheel well This patch is for a 6' fleetside and should work for you. I get all my patch panels from Goodmark and the parts they make are perfect and not that expensive considering what you get, call them for a catalog. Anyway you pay for shipping,I'll send the parts J

13. RustyParts

Goodmark parts

I've been buying most of my parts from GMCPauls in Rockville, Indiana, he sells Goodmark panels also and is usually about $10.00 cheaper than the others and is fairly close by if I need to save trucking fees for the big stuff.

14. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Rusty bed flrs.

Yeah I know what your talking about for shipping. When I bought my new doors from a guy in Virginia they showed up at my door with a shipping bill of $600.00. I called the guy up we negotiated the price down to a little over a$100.00 or I was going to refuse shipment! Yeah well I'm glad you found a source for your patch panels. Later J.

15. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

Ooooh! Pick me! Pick me! I want to be co-host!

Looks to me like an awesome job so far. I sure hope mine goes that well when I get to tearing into it that deep.

16. RustyParts

Take lots of pictures before you tear it down, they're times when you have to pull away from working on it and in my case I forget what goes where. ;)