Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finished Installing the 56" Springs up front & the D60 Today...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Jul 10, 2004.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Finished Installing the 56\" Springs up front & the D60 Today...

A couple weeks back I tore out my whole front suspension and axle to take the axle in to get regeared to 5.13 and a detroit installed. While it was out, I took the opporunity to swap my front 5"-ish lift springs for a set of Factory 56" Rears out of my 86 K30 parts truck.

A few changes I made:

Ground off the rivets holding the front hanger on, and relocated the spring hanger to the forward set of holes, thus reloacting the axle 2" forward.
    I already had a set of oversized shackles (in both direction...super thick, and probably too long), so I had them drilled out to accept the 56" springs 9/16" bolts.
    I also pulled 2 leaves out of the 56" pack, leaving me with 6 remaining. I pulled the 3rd and 5th out IIRC.

I also bought new bushings all around, and drilled out the sleeve in the upper shackle bushing to 1/2". No more broken bolts!!

With everything all bolted up and the 42's back on, I can defanitly see the front axle much further from the firewall, and that I'll defnaitly have to hack the front of the fenders some more! With a 7.5" eye to eye shackle, I ended up with a 40* shackle angle. It's a little flatter than I wanted, but beats the sh!t outta the 90* angle I had before! I'm going to get an angle finder and check my caster, I may be in need of a tapered shim to correct the steering.

Gah! I know...This thread is worthless without pics! I'll try to get my friends cameraphone or somthing in there to take a couple shots of the new suspension. Basically I wanted to let everyone know there is an alternative to 52" front's, and these springs are DAMN flexy!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Re: Finished Installing the 56\" Springs up front & the D60 Today...

Sweet man! So how does it ride and drive with the 56's? what are you doing for shocks?

3. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

did you get the 5" or so lift back? more or less /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    yep pics would top the post off /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. dhdescender

I'm running Pro Comp ES somthing-thousand :P they're 13" stroke shocks. Until I get my rear diff regeared, its staying off the road, but I'll be sure to give a fullr eport when the time comes. I'm putting 63's in the back too! Long springs at both ends!

Yup, I'm getting a digital cam 2nite to snap some shot.

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

i definitly would like those pics too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

pics?
    how much lift did you get?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How many leaves did you leave in your springs? My 86 K30 has a ton.

What's your pinion angle like? Did you move your shackle hanger?

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Are you concerned about the effect of asymetric springs on pinion angle?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wouldn't you think that the longer springs would flex more with less pinion angle change throughout the travel?

I'm just not picturing how the fact that the center pin is not centered really makes any difference.

Time to go junkyard scouring for some parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I am running the ford 57's up front...witch are non semetrical. I don't have lower u-joint problems...but I get enough flex that the upper want to bind. The non semetrical (with the short side in the front and shackle in the back) also leads to a little more slip yoke movement.

11. dhdescender

Hmmm I'll try to get my friends digital camera today...I really need my own /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'm running 1410 u joints, so they're not going to bind with so little lift I have, and quite honestly I didn't think about the asymetrical springs until after I installed them, as I had them so I figured why not use them. As said, a few are running 57" fords, which are defanitly not symetrical, without major issues, so I won't know until I get my driveshafts done.

Loking at it now, I eithe rneed to move the springs about an inch forward, so I'm going to need to put an even longer shackle on, and trim the body mount behind the shackle hanger. I think ultimatly I will end up making a new spring hanger 1-2" forward...mm approach angle

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't you think that the longer springs would flex more with less pinion angle change throughout the travel?

I'm just not picturing how the fact that the center pin is not centered really makes any difference.

Time to go junkyard scouring for some parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

with the long end to the back during droop the pinion would probley be turning down since its forward on the arch /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. dhdescender

Hm...I would say you'd be correct on the pinion angle change, I suppose I'm doomed to be a guinea pig! The nice thing is if all fails, I can switch to 52's, and my axle stays in the same location.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how much lift do you have all together with both springs etc?

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's already been answered, but the critical point is that the springs are arched. At ride height, the pinion gets set appropriately. Then, when the springs droop, the arch increases. If the axle is in the middle of the spring, then the axle is on the tip of the arch and stays that same relative to the chassis. If it's off to one side, that side is changing angles relative to the chassis with increased arch. In this case, the forward side of the spring is becoming more vertical, tilting the pinion down. This extends the slip yoke more than just the axle movement due to the pinion rotating down. That rotation also increases angle in the lower joint so that if you were marginal anyway, you now will have bind. The more it droops, the more it wants to rotate. In the rear, which has the short side forward, this is a good thing (there are others), but not in the front…

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I guess I'll just have to try it and see if mine will flex far enough with the 56s to bind that 1410 I have up front.

17. dhdescender

[ QUOTE ]
    how much lift do you have all together with both springs etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got about 5" of lift over stock. I plan to move my axle another 2" forward (custom mounts) to end up 4" forward over stock location. I'm thinking with 4" further forward axle, and dual cases that the front shafts length and 1410's will help to not bind. We will see I've got another 3 weeks until I can insure the vehicle and actually hit the trails.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't forget your angle finder. It is your friend, and only costs $9.

19. dhdescender

Also, if it did cause that much bind, ...redrill it 2" back, zero rate it...whatever it could be solved.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks... keep me updated with what you do with them /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif