Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finished my license plate mount! HAHA *lots-o-pics*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Dec 6, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Here's my license plate holder! It's a BUMPER!
    [​IMG]
    Price:
    $25 for tubing (brackets are free scrap 4" angle)
    $2 for 6 sheet metal screws
    $8 for Paint
    $4 For expanding foam to fill bumper solid!
    ---------------------------------------------
    $39 total cost and about 6 hours for cutting, grinding and welding

[​IMG]
    torch cut 6"x2" tube

[​IMG]
    welded seems

[​IMG]
    welds ground smooth /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]
    brackets

[​IMG]
    painted bumper

[​IMG]
    finished

[​IMG]

The two 3/8" screws on the back are plugs for when I filled the bumper with expanding foam. Bumper is painted with rust tough semi-flat black. When I spray in my bedliner I'm going to spray the bumper too!

What do you think of my first bumper for under $40!? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Looks nice, I really like the idea of filling the bumper with foam to get rid of the hollow sound /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Nice, I like the foam idea too.

4. jjlaughner

well I ordered 6x2 by 1/8th inch instead of 3/16th inch thickness so I figured the foam would help reinforce it a little bit. I filled the rockers in my silver truck after we replaced them and they are solid! So I'm doing the fenders and bumpers on my other blazer with this foam too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cool, thanks for the idea also...I know what I'm going to be buying when I cap off my bumpers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

nice. i also like the foam idea and have been thinking about it for a while.

what about a light for the plate? or is this a front bumper?
    Grant

7. jeremy91k1500

jeremy91k1500 Registered Member

bumper looks real good, now lets see some installed pics. is that a BSU plate? just went back and looked, dare i say it, a fellow HOOSIER. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Does the foam double as a flotation device if you get too deep in the water?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about a light I have a couple but no plans as of now to put one on /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Does the foam double as a flotation device if you get too deep in the water?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll find out, I'm filling the fenders too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I wondered about this and how much I would need /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    bumper looks real good, now lets see some installed pics. is that a BSU plate? just went back and looked, dare i say it, a fellow HOOSIER. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I'm from Indiana! I live in Frankfort and went to Ball State. Its a great alumni plate on a rusted out POS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thats about how much money I'm making these days (see occupation) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One thing to keep in mind as you fill fenders, rockers, etc. with that expanding foam... If that stuff doesn't stay perfectly attached to the metal, then that nice, salty slush that you have on the roads around there all winter can get trapped between the foam and the metal. That will just accellerate future rust. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about a light I have a couple but no plans as of now to put one on /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he was asking about a light to illuminate the liscense plate as required for the rear, hence the question if it was for the front or rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

looks Great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Easy fix for license plate light: $25.00. Less holes in the bumper for rust to get in...priceless

[​IMG]
    Lighted license plate.

16. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing to keep in mind as you fill fenders, rockers, etc. with that expanding foam... If that stuff doesn't stay perfectly attached to the metal, then that nice, salty slush that you have on the roads around there all winter can get trapped between the foam and the metal. That will just accellerate future rust. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I'm just trying to fill in the gaps right now. I'll shoot most of the blazer with bedliner in the spring. The can says its a sealent also. As long as there is no grease or rust (which this this doesn't have much rust left now) I cleaned and painted all the inner fenders in the rear.
    Honestly 90% of me putting this foam in the fenders is prevention. After you fill the fender it turns into a rock! I'll be bouncing it off of trees next spring so all the 'under' armor will help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I filled my rockers in my silver blazer with it because the new inner rocker did not cover the gaps. After it oozed out I trimmed it off painted it black and sprayed the bedliner spray on the underside of everything. So far so good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he was asking about a light to illuminate the liscense plate as required for the rear, hence the question if it was for the front or rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a rear bumper and I know what he means /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I've been pulled over before for not having a license plate light. I talked to my Uncle and he said if thats what they pulled me over for they had nothing on me they just wanted to pull me over. (In this instance it was on a state road the sherrif in the oncoming lane turned around and pulled me over saying my driving lights blinded him (even though I was behind a semi), then he tried some back peddling and said he pulled me over for not having a license plate light even though he was driving in the opposite direction and it was just getting dark enough for driving lights /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif When I told him I didn't think it even had a license plate light and if it did it has never worked and my father drove the same truck back and forth to work 30 miles each way for 10 years and never had a problem and I drove the truck 60 each way for 2 years and never had a problem, he told me to have a nice night and to shut my driving lights off till I got them adjusted... so, after he was back in his car, I jumped out kicked the drivers light down and took off (I had hit something the plastic air damn in the front caught the light and pulled it up /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

With that said, I'm trying to keep the bumper very simple. Besides once it snows you can't see the plates on half the vehicles around here anyway, snow and ice buildup in recesses for plate mounts. I just used 4 bolts and screwed it to the bumper. The other bumper had to come off to fix the floors and drop the gas tank, it was a pain to get the bolts out and the bumper was all curled up from the PO hitting something (since it was a plow truck he probley backed up and hit some ice and hit something or the brakes didn't work because the scabbed in some replacement lines too). So this is my CHEAP A$$ way of making a bumper to where I can drive it again. Being 6" and 4" on the outside edges its also going allow for alot more clearence seeing as how I'm mounting it a little higher and cutting 3-4" off the frame rails to mount it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are quite a few Hoosiers on here nowadays. What town are you from? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. jeremy91k1500

jeremy91k1500 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, there are quite a few Hoosiers on here nowadays. What town are you from? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm from Elkhart

20. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Go Cards!, Ball State, me too, They tried to teach me how to be smart but I still dump money and time into this hobby. I just can't quit! -Mark