Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finished the stroker rebuild!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SnackPack, Sep 6, 2005.

1. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

I just finished my '87 350->Stroker 383 rebuild... Got one question though: These exhaust ports... are they considered oval? I ordered some cheapo Summit headers that don't seem to fit up well and they're described as Oval. I have to return those anyway since they block all of the accesory bolt areas of the heads. What would be a good cheap header that fits?

Thanks1

PA060036.jpg

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

as far as a cheap header that fits the ports on the head...i have no idea...i know that most cheap headers dont fit the chassis so well.

i hate how mine hangs down so low...im going to switch headers and go to a y-pipe and single exhaust.

ryan

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Those are square port heads. You can find headers that are square ports but they are not as common and from what I remember hooker makes a set that are square but they are expensive. Either way you can run a round tube header, which is what most people including myself do and they are fine. No leaks or problems at all. Just make sure that if you run round tube header that you get round gaskets to go with it. Some cheap headers are hedmans, I had those for a while and I didnt have any issues with them. They didnt fit real well because they hit the shackle down by my leaf springs. But that kind of seems to be fairly common with cheaper long tube headers.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I bought some from flowtech and I have a fair amount of clearance everywhere. The headers are strait and seal good and they also dont hang down very much. They were a hundred bucks form advance auto parts. Put some header wrap (the fiberglass stuff) on them and gain a few ponies, not to mention an advertised 70 percent in heat reduction under the hood!

5. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Do you know the model # on those FlowTechs?

Adam

6. neverendingproject

7. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, those look a lot like the Summit ones I bought.... perhaps they're just rebranded. I mentioned that those have those holes along the top between the ports that block the mounting oles in the head that are used for the dip stick and spark plug wire holders.

Also, the Summit ones I got are oval, so I assume these are too, since they look identical. Can you confirm that these are round port headers? Also, did you experience the same problem with the header covering up the mounting holes?

Thanks!

8. neverendingproject

Mine were round, though I did notice a difference in pictures, those were the headers I bought. The pipes were bent the same but I have different header flanges. Dont know what to tell you. Talk to the guys at advance auto, tell em what you got and they will show a list of headers. Should be same part number at around a hundred bucks.

9. neverendingproject

I lied :rolleyes: look at 11506FLT on summit 111 dollars. sorry :doah: :doah: :doah:

10. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Hey man, thanks alot. I think I saw those before, but I just needed to find someone who knew first hand since I've already got a pair here that don't work. Purchasing locally is one thing but UPS returns are not my idea of a good time. :)

Looks like those won't interfere with the bolt-on accesories on the head, either (but is the dip stick *really* an accessory? :))

I'll throw up some new pics when I get it all hooked up. This is my first engine build and I'm anxious to see how it all works.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Its hard to tell from the pics but....................But from what It looks like........
    Are you using centerbolt TBI heads on a 383?
    If you are. You really should think about getting better heads. Unless you did some major porting on them. You will never see the true potential of your engine with TBI heads. They just dont flow. great for torque below 4500 but aftter that there is nothing.

12. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's my daily driver so I wanted to get the stroker crank in there while I had the engine out. My budget since I started the project has dramatically shrunk due to other expenses, so I'm just going with a stock stroker and I need it running ASAP.

My plan now is to break it in like it is and hopefully by next summer I'll have the cash to go vortec or some other heads. It hurts, but it's a decision I had to make. And from input from the machine shop and others tells me it'll work fine... Plus with my new Comp Cam, they said I shouldn't have to chip the TBI, which is a bonus.

Like I said, this is my first engine build so I figure the less I'm changing around, the less I'll have to worry about adjustments or accidentally blowing it up. :) Rather than Trial and Error, I'd prefer Trial and Success in small quantities.

I have some other work that needs to be done on it anyway before I make a 350HP motor... Spare tire rack, windshield, and other things that will add up to some $$$ on its own.

13. blank

blank Registered Member

I put flow techs on my Stroker and they work great not any problems. Last week I put Dynomax on my dads 4x4 and they also worked great. I just called jegs and told them what I was putting them on. They are close to the leaf spring bracket but a good muffler man can handle it.

Blank

14. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I just ordered the FlowTech 11506FLTs from Advance Auto Parts... $105 after tax, which surprised the clerk who rang it up. :) I got a muffler buddy who can hook these into my exhaust for no more than a few beers, so I think I'm all set.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Adam

15. neverendingproject

Way to go, hope all comes out well :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: I will also be completing my stroker soon. we will see how it goes

16. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I used Hooker HEaders on mine, they fit awesome, not a problem at all, so far, but they have also been on for 3 years.
    Eddie

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They don't look any different than the Vortec heads here which I specified 1986 K5 to buy for.

18. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

I got a pair of those FlowTechs now, but I noticed that the #1 (cylinder) pipe has a small crease in it. It almost looks like shipping damage, but the Advance Auto Parts guy told me that it's there for a reason (perhaps for the spark plug or something). Have you noticed this with your 11506FLTs? The crease in the tube is close to the #1 port, top of the tube, after the first bend downward and back.

Thanks!

19. neverendingproject

Yessir. thats what I have too, I always thought it was shipping damage, but I thought it was wierd how it lined up so well with the spark plug hole, and yes it helps to have room wiggle your socket around when you are tightening or loosening the plug. I covered mine up kinda when I put that exhaust wrap on it. Im sure it will be okay though.