Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finishing fender lip after trim

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i plan on hacking on my fenders in the near future, and was wondering about what to do about the lip. i was thinking about a .25" rod welded to the lip to finish it off. heres the pics on what i want to cut out. i dont want to spend alot of time here because i dont want to get too mad when i bend it up.

ryan

Attached Files:

2. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Maybe you could just use some edge trim to somewhat finish it off, by the looks of the size opening you plan on cutting, I wouldn't say your looking for too great a finish. Why you cutting such big openings (rear esp.)? 44's w/o a lift?

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the rear opening is so big because i put 63's on the back and the rear wheel got pushed back 5 inches.

i plan on 39-42 inch tall tires with only about 4 inches of lift.

and i like the way it looks...at least right now, laid out in masking tape.

ryan

4. BigCountryx

I figured there was a reason for the amount of cutting, I'm sure it 'll look killer when it's done, but I would still just use some adge trim.
    [​IMG]

Either that or weld in a strip of sheetmetal that would look similar to the factory lip.

5. BigCountryx

Maybe even something like this
    [​IMG]

It ataches with doulble sided tape like all the other trim on trucks these days.

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For some reason I can't see your pics. Anyway, I wouldn' waste time welding anything in or buying a trim. SC has no inspection laws so just go ahead and remove the fenders. ;)

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

In the rear if you cut that big you're gonna get into all sorts of nasty chit. Trimming the outer fender won't do you much good once you get beyond the wheel tub. Are you gonna relocate the tank to clear the diff?

8. clarkjw24

Damn, I wish I could see your pics :confused: I putting the 63s on this winter and I'm running 42s. We should hook up and go wheeling. You a member of any clubs over there?

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

for some reason, the pages are taking forever to load. not a member of any clubs. unless you move the front mount, the 63's will require the shackle brakckets to the rear of the frame. i posted some pics before in this thread:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148872

gonna be a while before my k5 will be ready to wheel.

ryan

10. clarkjw24

Thanks for the link, I could see those pics. What you gonna do about your gas tank? I'm thinking of putting it in the bed. I don't want to pony up for a cell and new pump for the tbi. I don't want to move the front hanger but I know if I don't I'm gonna have to build a new rear bumper that will allow me to "extend" my frame at the rear. Something like the jeep guys do with the shackles off of the bumper. I've already cut the "turn down" on the rear of the frame off.

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i've got a 16 gallon fuel cell from another project, but dont want to lose the capacity (31 gallons). im thinking of cutting a hole in the floor, raising the tank level with the frame, and since my filler door will get chopped of, mount the filler neck in the truck, or mount a marine type gas door. then put a box over the top.

the rear mount ends up about even with the end of the frame. my diy flip brackets are lined up with the very end of the frame, against the rivets that hold the back crossmember to the frame.

ryan