Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

finishing the basement..need ideas

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Apr 5, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I’m getting ready to start on my basement in the new house. It’s all unfinished and open. I will only be doing one section right now..the part that will be my pool room / workout area. I’ve already hung plastic on the walls for my vapor barrier and will be framing it in next. I’m looking for ideas for the floor. It’s all concrete right now. Not to worry about leaks, it’s very dry down there. The workout side will be rubber mats on top of the sealed floor. The pool table area is my concern. Thinking maybe some thin carpeting. That would be then easiest I guess plus it would help quiet the area.

Anyone ever finish their basement or have any ideas to share??

thanks

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just finished tiling my bathroom, so I'm in a mode right now where I'd go for ceramic tile, especially if you have a flat/solid concrete slab underneath and you're going to put a pool table on it.

My brother put carpet tiles on the floor in my mom's house, they came out pretty nice and he can rearrange them or double up as needed, and even remove them at the drop of a hat.

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

build a raised section along the back wall area, build in seating with carpeted steps,

make the eye elevation above the pool table, then get a projector and some nice lighting and home theater goodies,

then you have a nice duel purpose entertainment room,

-shawn :laugh:

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Uhmm...

I have carpet glued to a cement slab in my room and it's COLD. Make sure you get a thick underpad or something

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Pergo flooring works well over concrete, if the floor is pretty smooth and flat. If the floor is pretty rough, your best bet is a thick pad and carpet, also more kid friendly. If you want a real wood floor, nail down 2x4s on the concrete and nail wood flooring to them.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

All the pool halls that I know of have carpeting. Probably because balls go flying off the table and tend to chip on a hard floor. I know I launch a few every now and then, especially after I've had a few.:grin:

7. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

That's not smart in most basements... unless you have 9 foot ceilings in it... you put down 2x4s even on their sides rather than their edges, you lose too much overhead space to put in a proper ceiling.

My suggestion is a pergo or carpet floor with pergo foam backing with either surface, a drop ceiling with 2x2 or 2x4 tiles, and a sunken area for the pool table if you can do it. If not, do not raise the floor for the pool table, again unless you have 9 foot ceilings. It will be very hard to Masse with the raised floor. Also, the projector idea is great, and will work well with a drop ceiling because it can be hidden on top of a 2x2 tile and dropped down remotely when it needs to be used. Keeps it out of the way when not in use too. You'll need a pulley system and some reinforcement around the tile. You'd want to give the pulleys enough travel to bring the projector to about shoulder height for cleaning purposes, and you'll need a motor that you can control by remote or switch.