Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Finishing the diff cover and starting to shave the 14bolt...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jul 20, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

New post for alot of pics. Just a reminder or for those that missed it... DIY.com diff cover ring and back plate, 3/8" bottom and top plates, 1/4" side plates, underside has gussets/sliders to keep the diffcover from slamming on things. ON TO THE PICS! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[​IMG] inside welded up
    [​IMG] still need to cut a groove around the inside of the ring and outside of the plates to weld and seal all the seams
    [​IMG] bottom gussets finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] so how much fluid do you think this thing will hold? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    [​IMG] bottom before starting to shave
    [​IMG] bottom outside edges started
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] still need to level out the left side a little more, I think I'm going to use the sawzall on the middle section now that I have a starting point to go from
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] knocking the ears off the top
    [​IMG] bottom again different angle
    [​IMG] top no ears
    [​IMG] a little more to go /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

how much more can I take off the outside edges on the bottom without weakening the housing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I asked the kitten what he thought about me posting 20 pics in one post...

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif is that a smirk /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. jjlaughner

3. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Don't want to hi-jack or anything, but here is how I shaved mine if your lookin for inspiration or sumthin..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. jjlaughner

yeah basically that what I had in mind as far as making the bottom smooth and having the full lip on the back. With the shackle flip and the pinion pointing up a good ways I want it thick and smooth. With this diff cover I'm only going to grind down to the ring and then smooth forward at an upward angle like yours is.

What do you think about going out farther on the sides?

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Going further on the sides of what?

8. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Hey, did you cut each piece for this. I need to make a couple of them, especially the front. Need more info. -Mark

9. jjlaughner

yeah I cut each piece with the sawzall... it was a bit of a pain, but the steel I had was 4" wide so I just used it full width instead of maing length-wise cuts. I think Kent said you could use 3" wide steel, he had his side plates bent from one piece of flat stock /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I dont have anyway to precisly bend 3/8". I sent him a PM awhile back about getting the side plates with the ring kit, precut pieces so it just a weld together item, he said he could do that.

If I had to do it again, front or rear, I'd bend the bottom of the cover in a little to limit the size of the bottom panels. Plus this cover will probley hold in entire gallon of diff fluid! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Going further on the sides of what?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]
    out to the left and right of the diff cover, the web area at the sides between the housing and the tube. Can I take a little more off without making weak?

11. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

So, you bought the ring flange from somebody, from whom?
    How about the other larger piece, top or bottom pending how you are looking at it? And then you cut pieces accordingly, 4" tall but 3 inches will work.

I've got to do this, but first I am wanting to make a strong ass tie rod. I bent another all to hell.

12. jjlaughner

http://www.diy4x.com/drivetrain.htm /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I bugged Kent about precutting some side panels on the next one I make, sounded like he might make that an addition to the kit
    [​IMG]
    this is the ring and plate, with my 3/8" steel bar/strap

to do it again I'd definatly put the gussetts in
    [​IMG]

I'm almost done shaving the 14bolt its coming out pretty good, we spent the better part of the afternoon outside marking out the pole barn, I think we nixing the rear unheated area and just making it a little deeper work area and wider, then making some sort of internal sliding door. We have a guy from Lafayette coming out to price out the size and design we want. I'm pushing the loft idea more and dad is trying to back out of it...

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The way I bend thick metal is to cut about half way through it with the cut-off wheel, and then use a BFH to bend it. Then I weld up where I cut it to make it strong again. Probably isn't the best way to do it, and if you have to bend it like 90* it will probably crack, but for something like a diff cover it would probably work fine. Thats my ghetto fab way of bending, don't think I'd use this method for something that was structural.

14. jjlaughner

15. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Few questions.

Does he sell only the ring by itself, without the top plate.

Did the ring get warped from the heat of welding?

Are you going to put any kind of fill hole in the top or drain hole in the bottom, kind of like the mag-hytec cover?

Lastly, I like the gusset idea.

16. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

i love how u throw in pics of those damn cats into ur posts man. makes me laugh everytime!!!

Nick

17. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Few questions.

Does he sell only the ring by itself, without the top plate.

Did the ring get warped from the heat of welding?

Are you going to put any kind of fill hole in the top or drain hole in the bottom, kind of like the mag-hytec cover?

Lastly, I like the gusset idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

- dont know
    -Not that I noticed, I welded the top/sides first then tacked the bottoms and welded the corners, then the ring...
    -thinking about since there's no magnet using a magnetic plug in the bottom and probley a fill plug in the side
    -I like them too... looks and functionality /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    i love how u throw in pics of those damn cats into ur posts man. makes me laugh everytime!!!

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

We have two kittens living in the house fulltime now, the mother was one of the cats that we babied and spent alot of time with when she was younger because she was sick (feline lukimia is what they thought), she died when these kittens where about 4 weeks old of either liver or kidney failure, then out of the 5 kittens that she had 3 died of distemper, we also lost 5 of our outside cats to distemper that same week (10cats in 3 days). We bought shots for distemper and the outside cats are on their first round of preventative treatments.
    ANYHOW! These two are left out of the 5 kittens, we have bottle fed them up till about a week ago, they are dry food with milk (formula) treats from time to time
    [​IMG]
    they are about 8 weeks old, getting ready for shots and to be fixed. Both are boys, the yellow one is more agressive and black one plays alot but isn't as agressive.
    Funny to watch the two of them
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

(if you hadn't noticed we dont really have names for them /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif, I wanted tahoe and serria that was a no go, dad wanted salt and pepper, mom wants sweetie pie and kittie... then brusier and buster came up... we just call them both kitty's /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

nice kitty..

at first I didn't understand the gussets (before you put the bolt hole ring on) and now I do. That cover is going to be badassly strong! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. jjlaughner

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif