Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FIre and Gas NO RUN

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gixxer33, Jun 13, 2004.

1. gixxer33

gixxer33 Registered Member

I just replace the factory carb to an edelbrock 600cfm manual choke. and while i was at it a threw in new spark plugs and a new coil. the engine is fairley fresh with not even 1k of milage on it. my problem is that after getting everything all set up and ready to start the beast... all it will do is turn over. now i do have sufficent spark from the coil. and i have plenty of fuel comming to the carb. but all it will do is crank. and crank kinda of hard almost like im getting to much compression... any help would be awsome

-Trever

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Did you play with the timing at all ? That would make it crank hard if it has been fine before. Double check the spark plug wires also, sometimes if thet are crossed it will be hard, or won't start. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Make sure you have spark at the cylinders.

Have someone crank the motor while you monkey with the timing by moving the distributor back and forth a little. You may be getting to much gas, to little timiing, etc. If it is hard to crank you might have to much base timing.

You might also be getting to much gas with the new carb and you may have to advance the timing to get it to run. If that is the case you will need to adjust the carb after you get it running.

Harley

4. gixxer33

gixxer33 Registered Member

hey thanks guys i tried every spark plug and i have spark to all of them. but i guess from all that hard starting my starter has now passed away. some of the last couple of times trying to start it the starter started smokeing out of the brace that holds the selanoid on. im going to try the dist. timing idea tomorrow when i get off work. if anyone else has any ideas please let me know

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If your engine is having trouble turning over, I can almost guarantee that you have too much timing into the sucker, although I can't explain why seeing that it sounds like you haven't messed with your distributor at all..... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had a problem similar awhile back. My truck ran fine except for the fuel pump was going out. Around town it was fine but once heated on the highway it would cut out sometimes.

I replaced the FP and the thing wouldn't start. It was getting to much gas from the new FP and I had to advance the timing way up to get it to run.

With his new carb it may be running to lean for the amount of timing in the motor. Hard cranking sounds like to much timing so if he backs it down it will probably start.

I didn't mess with my distributor at all when I replaced my FP and it didn't start till I advanced it.

My end problem turned out to be a carb that was going bad & the new FP only inhanced this problem by adding more PSI to the carb that was already on it way out.

Harley