Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fire ball

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01fatboy, Jun 15, 2003.

1. 01fatboy

01fatboy Registered Member

well what would cause a fire ball to shoot out of my carb? messed with timing but nothing new plugs and wires and cap rotor nothing only made fire ball larger /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. when running and you get on it, it sputers a little gas out the top of carb but doesnt ingnite....yet... please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I am all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i believe fuel out of the carb backfiring through the intake is running lean.... good luck with it, get more fuel in there...

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check your firing order. the ONLY time it will puke flames though the carb is if the intake valves are open when it get's spark. What will cause this is if the timing is off or firing in the wrong order or burned valves (Intake valves rarely burn so not likly).
    Firing order is on the intake in front of the carb.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

funny you should mention burnt valves grim.i actually had3 or 4 valves burnt in my impala 327 and it still ran like a bat outa hell.i never did have any fireballs though.when i took my distributor out and put it back in it was a tooth off so about 20 degrees off from zero and it backfired real bad out of the carb.it almost singed my eyebrows man.i just took one spark plug and moved it forward one spot in the firing order and it fired right up with no fire.i would say it is your timing.

5. 01fatboy

Thanks all I will check it out

6. 01fatboy

ok well got it figured out and boy it was easy.......just had a few valves to tight. and it came right together....

Thanks all for the input never knew that info before. hopefully I will soon be a shade tree mechanic ( I do work on CH-47,s though) any way wanted to say that you all keep this sight alive and very usefull and helpfull to anyone and I believe that is what counts. I will become a member soon so look out for me. THANKS ALL fatboy

7. 01fatboy

ok I have a VW baja that is not firing well on one cylinder and it backfires out the exhaust. what would cause that? No I am not getting rid of it you would be surprised at how fun and what it can do cheap

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

burnt exhaust valve or too much fuel in the cylander to completely burn the fuel and then you get the fire out the tailpipe.vw's have a short exhaust pipe anyways from what ive seen so it wouldnt take much for the vaslve to be open or burnt to create a nice ball of flames. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. 01fatboy

I will check it out thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif