Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fire Extinguisher mounting in cab (pics & advice)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, May 17, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm mounting a 2.5LB ABC rated fire extinguisher in my truck for emergencies. Any suggestion on where to mount it? I have an interior smittyblt bar and a tuffy console which might be appropriate.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

center of the steering wheel for easy access:D

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine is on the floor next to the t-case lever. If you need a picture to envision that, you probably don't know how to work a fire extinguisher. :D

5. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

:p:
    Thanks.
    Tough crowd. I'll work on some more entertaining dumb ass questions for the group to work on ;)

6. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

7. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i think this looks really cool and is a very functional spot.

you may even want to mount one under the hood too... thats where youll most likly need it...

8. mikey_d05

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno how big the 2.5lb extinguisher is, but I mounted my small extinguisher to the back of my tuffy console, IIRC there are already bolt holes there, I just re-drilled the extinguisher mount.

I've got the console mounted in the stock location, so I can flip the quick release on the mount easily from the drivers seat. Still get to use the awesome Tuffy cupholders near the shifter too. :)

10. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I have a custom seat-mount that houses 2 racing buckets and a B&M floor shifter between them. I have the extinguisher mounted between that shifter and my seat, easily within my reach.

I don't have a pic of the extinguisher specifically - but here's a side-shot of my interior w/ the custom seat mount.
    [​IMG]

11. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine is in the same place. Very functional and out of the way. I think mine is like a 7 or 10 lber though. Bigger than the usual ones you see in autos.

I tried it just sitting to the left of the drivers seat and tucked into the rear compartment but that just didn't seem to work out after my first wheeling trip.

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

for those of you who are getting or currently have a abc fx in your rig, beware of the kidde brand or any other with a plastic head, such as the 10.00 ones. They are ok in some apps but not as much as you would hope.

the plastic heads do not fare to well in a truck that see's alot of sun, the constant heating and cooling of the o-ring and the head will cause them to fail. Then when you need it most, the $10.00 fire ex just failed and you watch a $5000.00 to $15.000 investment burn to the ground.

I sell, service, and deal with everything from 2.5 fx's to 20 lbs, to grease supp, to air plane fire carts all day long, I say I see about 5 to 10 of the cheapy 2.5 lbs fx's that are not charged are do to a plastic head or seal that failed.

your best bet is to get a 2.5 or a 5 lb metal head fx, brands such as ansel are a good name brand.

also any local guys, I can recharge a fx and recertify it for you for free, I get customers all day long that give me there old ones. :thumb:

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is the one I use. About $25.00 at Wally World. I have a smaller one in the wife's K-10 but I'm gonna get two more of the larger ones, one for the '73 and one for the K-10.

I wouldn't keep one under the hood. You'll get a face full of flames opening the hood if the fire is there.

[​IMG]

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'll second that, don't bother putting an extinguisher under the hood. And you'd be better off spending your money on air fresheners than those small extinguishers, unless you've had practise using extinguishers you'd be surprised how difficult it can be to use one effectively.

That goes for home use too. Extinguishers beside the stove might seem to make sense until you have a stove top fire. Extinguishers should be mounted near exits.

Sorry the firefighter will shut up now.

15. kotton

kotton Registered Member

I mounted one in the back by the spare tire, now that I read all these I feel like an idiot :blush:

just thought Id share that , Im gona pick another up and mount it by the t-case shifter that sounds like a good idea.

16. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Don't feel like an idiot, feel lucky, because the only way to know what to do in the case of a fire is to have one, or have someone teach you. Luckily it was the latter!

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So for vehicle fires, can you post some tips, etc?

I can already tell the small extinguisher I carry is going to be inadequate, I guess something is better than nothing, but is there a size that is still portable/mountable in our rigs that might do the trick, or at least give us a fighting chance?

I personally have no idea the best thing to do if you've got an underhood fire and a smaller extinguisher. Even if it's not your vehicle on fire, you might be able to help someone out whose vehicle IS on fire. Just makes sense to know the best approach.

18. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

good point dontoe and chances are you will burn the hell out of your hands trying to open the hood.

I like the idea of having the extinguisher next to the seat like yours where it is easy to grab when needed.

Don't forget that extinguishers need to be serviced every year also.

Now this firefighter will shut up!!! :D

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've used a couple of those cheap ones you buy at Wal-mart. They work alright. Nothing to write home about. Definitely not as nice as the kinds you find at an industrial place where they run fork lifts. The trick seems to be to remember to smack them against a tire before you use them. That and remember you have a finite supply of retardent coming out of that extinguisher.

I carry two of those little ones behind the seat in my rigs. One on each side. Chances are if you need more than just one of those extinguishers either your aim sucks or you did something stupid. As long as there isn't something fueling the fire (like gasoline being pumped out because you were stupid and ran the fuel pump off the ignition switch) then one of those little extinguishers seem to work alright for an underhood fire. If you let the fire go and it has an opportunity to start burning plastic (like the dash or the AC box under the hood) then you'd need a monster fire extinguisher to put it out.

In the house I have several large fire extinguishers. Usually right where you see them all the time. I've got one at eye level in the front porch. In the barn I have a 20lb one.

20. mikey_d05

Every three to six months, take a rubber mallet, pound up and down the side, and shake the extinguisher.