Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Nov 5, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

How would you fasten a fire extinguisher mount into the floor above the gear box: sheet metal screws or bolts?

I'm thinking sheet metal screws aren't strong enough - what do you reckon?

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Both of mine are held in with sheet metal screws

3. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

same here

why would sheet metal screws not be strong enough?
    If you are worried, drill the holes and use nuts and bolts

4. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys - metal screws are good enough for me. I wasn't sure about their suitability for the weight of the fire extinguisher (small type, about 10" height). As you know, in a crash, that fire extinguisher can become a dangerous projectile, so I didn't want it to pop off too easily. Anyhow, it'll be mounted on the floor, so there will be no weight on it.

Where do you guys have your fire extinguisher mounted? For me here in the hot desert, it's a must.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Velcro'd the the pass seat mount. under the seat

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I used 4, 1/4 x 20 bolts to hold mine in place. I would have used sheetmetal screws but i have about 10,000 1/4 x 20's in the garage. I won them in a Gov auction for $35.

7. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

I need it to be as visible as possible - so if I say: "go get the fire extinguisher in the truck" it's right there as they open the door.

Here's a series of photos from nearby Oman of what happens if you don't catch the fire early. This was in the mddle of the Wahibas: a good two days drive to anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's still there, BTW, and every so often someone will report on it - "yep, passed by the burnt-out Jeep on our trip last weekend" ;)

8. sapper

Thats why I carry two, one small one front to get the kids out and a big one in the bed so whoever is behind can run up grab it and start working the problem

9. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Yeah, in summer the newspapers report 3-5 vehicles catching fire every week! Mostly on-road in traffic.

My problem is as follows: I assume the fire will start in the engine bay, probably an electrical short to provide the spark. So, I notice smoke from under the hood, I cut the engine, hop out with my fire extinguisher, pop the hood, run around the front, and now I need to get my finger in to release the latch (HOT!!!) then lift the hood up (EVEN HOTTER!) and with the sudden intake of air I guess the flames now reach up to my nostrils! and then I spray my extinguisher from the top with air both coming up from the bottom and the top. Doesn't sound ideal.

That's why I need to get there fast!

Any fire fighter on the board who can comment? For instance, could I forget opening the hood and instead spray up from under the radiator?

I guess the key is to keep your engine clean and wires up to grade, prevention being the first step.

Actually I've had friends who stopped over this dry bush, and it caught fire just from the exhaust heat! A buddy shouted out: "Hey, smoke under your truck!" and the guy moved the car and all was well!

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

BEFORE READING THIS REMEMBER THAT YOUR LIFE IS WORTH MUCH MORE THAN YOUR TRUCK. IF A FIRE LOOKS OUT OF CONTROLL OR IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GONE TOO FAR ALREADY, IT HAS. WALK AWAY AND BE GLAD YOU ARE ALIVE!!!

I keep 2 extinguishers when wheeling. As bad as it sounds, you must open the hood ASAP. If you don't the fire will destroy the cable/latch and then there is nothing you can do. Depending on your rig, some don't have a good access point from the bottom. Engine splash shields and fender liners block things from getting to the engine. It is a good idea to look for the best spots ahead of time so you won't waste time or powder. Spraying at the base of the fire is best. If you can't see because of smoke, aim at the headers/exhaust manifolds, the greatest source of heat. Sweep side to side.
    BTW be sure to shut the truck off, fuel presure and an engine fire get ugly.
    After the fire is out, and you are sure it's out, still keep the extinguisher handy. Fluid on a header can keep dripping and restart a fire. After the crisis is really over, ie: fire out, area cool again, cause of the fire found and repaired, be sure to clean the extinguisher powder off of everything, especially wires and rubber. The powder becomes corrosive and can do its own damage if left alone.

11. sapper

I have a 3" body lift so i can spray the entire engine from the wheel well, lets see if that comes up in the body lifts suck thread :haha:

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I am installing a firebottle system, so I can pull a cable from inside the cab. I'd like to get one of the thermo release mechanisms but I'm not sure that it won't go off just because it gets too hot under the hood under normal circumstances.

In any event, one of the nozzles will shoot into the cab and another under the hood.

Plus I have a 5 lb one secured to one of the cage tubes in the rear.

13. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I carry two 5lb. fire extinguishers. I've always wanted to mount one right to the dashboard (I took the dashpad off so it's just metal). Does anyone think I would have trouble with heat/sun?

14. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine, easily accessible from outside, I used velcro, screwed down, to mount it!

[​IMG]

15. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a friend bought a truck from auction and we took it out the day after he bought it. Was a 91 crewcab with 6" and 35s. well climbing a hill I was out video-ing and saw smoke and little fire balls dropping from the engine. Told him to get to the bottom ASAP. Never knew a crewcab could sidehill like that :crazy: . Prob was the truck had front end damage and had the hood secured with a ratchet strap. One guy ripped it off and we had a nice little blaze going. Prob was since it was a crew cab we all piled in it and left mine and another guys truck back in town... both of which had fire extinguishers. Well, antifreeze doesn't help nor hurt the fire we found. Dirt... lots of dirt and Patrick (owner) litterally ripping mt dew cans in half and pouring on got it out. Found that the fuel line rubbed and shot fuel on exhaust. Only scorched the carpet in a spot and burnt the wires to the 4 wheel drive indicator light. We were WAY lucky. He now carries 3 extinguishers in that truck and at least one in all his others. I carry 2 in the 4X and one in the tow rig. Here is a pic from that fire:

947730-Fire01.jpg

947735-Fire02.jpg

947736-Fire03.jpg

947739-Fire04.jpg

16. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Check the max. temperature printed on the extinguisher, it'll tell you. Some extinguishers are made for high temperatures and some for low temperatures, even below freezing.

Mine, and all the other ones I've seen here in the UAE, goes up to 65C / 150F, and it has been in direct sun for days on end without any problem.

17. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Will do thanx.