Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I was reading another thread and I realized I do not have an extinguisher for my rig and I need one. Where is a good place to get one? Do they make rechargable ones for autos?

Thanks

Ira

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can buy them just about anywhere, just don't by the kiddie brand as i'm fairly sure those aren't rechargable.
    I keep 2 in my rig at all times they are the 2 1/2 lb. ones.

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You can buy them at most hardware type stores lowes, Builders square Ace Hardware.

Yes they make them to be refilled. The spot I like best is the military mount on trans hump left of transfer shifter.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, pretty much any hardware store should have what you're looking for. I bet even Home Depot or Lowe's has 'em too.

The same fire extiguisher has been in my rig for ~25 years. Its a Halon one too :eek1:

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ooohh I have a Lowes card too:D.

Ira

6. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

rechargables that ive seen work ok not as good as a brand new one and they can be a pain in the ass sometimes

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah i just had my starter cable short out, pretty scary, im going to get one for sure

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Everyone should have one but it should be mandatory for anyone running a carb. Mine has never caught fire but I have seen several on the trail :eek1:

9. 4X4HIGH

Whatever you do, mount it upright. You are not supposed to mount a fire extinguisher on its side or the powder can clump and not come out. I have a friend who re-charges them for a living and he told me this as well as the fire protection people that do my extinguishers at work.

10. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

looks like the rv industry needs to know that cause i see many that are on their sides hahah .... also a trick that some people with carbs might not know but if the fire from your carb is on the top sometimes you can just crank it and it will suck the fire down into the carb and put fire out .. small fires that is guys

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Like everyone said, they're at most of the hardware places etc. Just get an A,B,C dry chem type. Mounting upright is always better, side is ok if you take a mallot to it every so often, which is advised. By that I mean take a rubber mallot and give the body of the extinguisher a few healthy taps to keep the power from clumping up (even if mounted upright).

12. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

The cost to "recharge" one is more expensive than just to buy a new one every year. FYI extinguishers are supposed to "serviced" every year.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep I know we do them all the time on the Subs.:D CO2, PKP, and AFFF. I did not know the cost of a quality auto extinguisher. If they are cheaper to replace than recharge then that sounds like the way to go.

Ira

14. 4X4HIGH

California law has recently changed to every 5 years. I'm pretty sure it is only California law anyway. That is they only need to be blown down and re-charged every 5 years but still looked at and have a new tag every year

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

a abc will work, when dealing witha rig I would rec a bc due to fuel being the main concern for most rigs, to be honest the damage and mess left after you use it is very dishearting. if you do use it, clean it up well or you will love the corrosion it has on copper wiring/terminals.

a halon/co2/or clean guard is your best defence but then you are bringing the cost up.

nothing wrong with mounting them sideways or laying down, you do need to turn it over and un clump the powder with a rubber hammer,

as for kidda's..as long as they have a guage you can re-fill them, the ones witht he plastic heads in my opinion are junk, they are cheap. just as they have cheap junk cars, they have cheap fx's. demographics and cost related reason mean they will sell. as for kidde brand I have picked up countless recalled 10 pounders they had from welds failing, it is some scary crap and I wont sell them, and will try to do a swap out or avoid serviceing them.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I know a guy who is supposed to be getting me a Halon or two for my K5 & CTD. :D

Harley

17. supersize75k5

they call an inspection a "service"

a quick break down

date cheacked
    last 6 year/hydro checked or see if needed
    check safety seal to see if its been used make sure pull pin slides.
    check cylender for dents or damage the compromise the cylender etc
    check for pressue in propper area of guage
    check for propper hose, pull hose off check for blocked passage way
    flip over fx, use rubber hammer to unpack
    check fx mount to make sure it is secure and accesable
    punch and install tag and new safety seal

as for a good one. spend the money for a nice full metal head trusted brand fx, the cost of a refill when you use it if it is a standard abc or bc should be less than 30 bucks if you bring it in, just look in the phone book and find a fire protection company near you.

18. supersize75k5

:o

reminder #1:crazy:

19. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Confirmed yeapers! FWIW we carried ours in the trunks on the Cvics on their side and in 6 months time they did not clump. Some were used sooner but on average I used one every six months.

20. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Get a BIG one! Those small auto extinguishers give you one chance at a small fire:rolleyes: Last time I used one was on the freeway. A guy had pulled over and was emptying his little one in the engine bay. It had started right against the firewall and by the time I got pulled over and to the vehicle the cloud was dissapating. It was an older import pick-up. The fire had gotten through the firewall and the carpet had caught. I opened the driver's door and shot a blast towards the floor I then closed the door to try and keep the chemical in and air out. The hood was open and there still was a little flame so I gave my second blast into the engine bay and tried to spread it out over both sides. I dropped down to pavement level and melted burning plastic was dripping onto the asphalt. I sent a third blast underneath right by the wheel and then ran around to the passenger side and gave the 4th blast there.

That's when I noticed the gas. A nice foot to two foot wide path from the truck, down the asphalt, to the cement curb / drainage. The firewall lit up a little again and the extinguisher coughed it's dying breath at it. I took a step back just in time to notice the cloud in the cab was dwindling enough for the fire to spring up again and it took all of about a second for the entire headliner to burn from one side to the other.

All in all I'd say I got about 10 seconds out of my Kitchen / office sized extinguisher.

That was it. I took a few steps back and I could see plastic dripping on the pavement again. Just like in the movies the plastic drip, drip, drip, gas caught and shot a nice flame down the trail of gas to the curb. Of course there were some weeds there and they started. It was just a small patch but the second or two it took me to get there it grew to about 4' X 4'.

that's it, I'm done. I retreated as the patch hit the 30 to 40 foot embankment at about a 45 degree angle. Then it was "Welcome to Cali-fornie!" as the dry grass hill side went up! Cooked the pine tree on the way up and burned hot. There was a wood fence at the top but true to form of this mini wildfire the moment the fire hit the top of the hill it ran out of dry grass. I thought it was going to jump to the houses but the 15' tall flame dropped back down and started a slow widening.

Then the Calvary.. er Fire Truck arrived. They put out the hillside first and while they checked for hotspots 2 guys pulled a second hose out and tried to drown the truck.

The fire must have started from intense heat and not a spark cuz it died way back and probably out once or twice but as soon as the Co2 dissapated it sprang up again.

Now I carry two extinguishers.