Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fire Extinguisher?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Mar 17, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

What type of fire extinguisher are you guys running in your trucks. I have been meaning to buy one or two but noticed they made serveral different kinds.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

u mean like purpose? I always have atleast 1 5lb ABC in my truck. Usually 2, one on each side of the toolbox, on the very ends.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive got a Napa brand Halon (PN 770-7031) in my console that I'd try first (no mess) and a Kiddie BC dry chemical strapped to the roll cage in case the Halon isnt enough. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

What I was meaning is some of them work on elctrical and some for other types of fires. I just didn't know the difference it them.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'd recommend a 2lb ABC Combo one. Then it's good for everything. Halon ones can be hard to find and expensive.

The Combo ones are good for 99% of fires. The only thing they aren't good for is flammable metals (berylium, phosphorus, etc), so you should be okay.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

A= trash, wood, paper
    B= liquids, grease
    C= electrical equipment

The Halon isnt hard to find since I gave you the Napa part #. If you have a little under the dash electrical fire you'll have glad you have the Halon which doesnt make a mess. If you are only gonna have one get the dry chemical ABC or BC. I like to have both.

7. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Extinguishers are categorized by "A", "B",and "C". An "ABC" extinguisher is a combo of all puposes, and good for a vehicle. Get at least a 5lb., cause if it is a gas fire, you'll need it! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make sure it will handle electrical and petrolium fires, i have a small one in the front of the truck that driver and passenger can grap fast as well as a biiger one in the back, the thinking is i can put out enough to escape with everyone, once thats done and they are safe go back get the bigger one, or someone with me can grab that one im while getting out and deal with the fire /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Amen brother! Coming back from BB03, I noticed the Chalet smoking a fair bit ... pulled over only to discover flames coming off my &(#$%^&*@ exhaust manifold!

That ten or fifteen bucks I spent on that fire extinguisher was worth it, lemme tell ya! It's a ~5# ABC type, as others have said, and since it's basically a one-fits all I just pointed and shot.

I had it towed home, fearing the worst, but it turned out the PO had a piece of rubber tranny line rubbing up against the manifold. DUH! At least she broke down with the 100 miles on my CSAA card /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, anecdote aside, I keep 'em in both Blazers. Cheap piece of mind.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Take a DEEEEEEEEEEEP breath and hold it before you use a Halon one. They suck the oxygen out of everything around..including you and it'll take awhile to get it back. I've heard of guys passing out and getting hurt because they don't know how to use one the right way. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif They are the best for elec. fires, but anything else, I'd use an "ABC" extinguisher.

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

DO NOT buy one of those cutsie little jobs that clips onto your roll bar or fits in a shoebox. What you need as a USCG approved ABC dry chem extinguisher in the 10 pound range. Available at Home Depot for under 30 bucks. Better to have too much than not enough! If you ever end up using it, try to clean your rig ASAP, because not only is it messy and tastes like the backside of a dead dog with fleas, but the powder is very corrosive and harmful to electronics.

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Get one or even better two, abc dry chemical extingusher's.

Don't scrimp on price, meaning not the stuff on the back row at walmart, this is a major safety issue here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mount them at very easy to get at location's, kickpanel's would be great if you have enough room for em. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif