Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fire extinguishers: rechargeable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, May 11, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I seem to have a small collection of older, smallish (2 or 3#) fire extinguishers. Are these things disposable, or can one get them recharged when they're used up or they've been sitting for years and years?

-- A

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Fire extinguishers: rechargeable

In many cases, yes you can recharge them. Alot of the older Kidee style you could, sometimes, but it wasn't worth the money. You really have two options with them, have them refilled, or take them to the recycler and see how much you can get for the bodies.

On the recharging, there are prb. 5-7 different companies that will fill them for you. Grab the yellow pages /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Call up your local fire station. They will know if anyone does recharging in your area. Often, fire stations will provide free testing and recharging once a year, usually in the Spring.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Not really worth refilling those small extinguishers. It will cost about the same or more to refill it as buying a new one.
    When a extinguisher is refilled the valve is taken apart, inspected, and O rings or other parts replaced as needed. The same ammount of labor is required to refill a small extinguisher as a 20LB extinguisher. The chemical is just reused and recharged with nitrogen. Extinguishers under 5# really aren't worth recharging. Unless you can get them done for free.
    If you want to dispose of them just drop them off at a scrap metal place.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the head is plastic they cannot be recharged, if it is metal then it can be recharged. I have a friend who recharges extinguishers for a living. What city are you in? I have a feeling you might be close to me and I may be able to get them done for you pretty cheap.