Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fire fighters or those who know about fire extinguishers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Apr 13, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have access to a whole pile of empty fire extinguishers. Are they usable for any kind of quick air tank? Co2 and so on. Does anybody know what kind of pressure they can handle? They are like the fire extinguishers that hang on a wall. Not as heavy as the SCBA tanks.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

they can hold pressure. they are suposed to be hydrostatically tested every so many years. that is the ones that are refillable. some are made to be thrown away after 1 use.

really it depends on which ext. u got as to weather u can use it as a co2 tank.

sorry for the vague answer,

3. cybrfire

any tips on which ones to look for. Most of these are yellow in color. I don't know if that matters or not.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd get all of them.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Heck i have a couple here, i was wondering, i have heard they can be refilled if i take them to the fire station??

Any body ever heard of this deal?

6. cybrfire

I've heard of that as well. I bet though if they figure out that you are filling your tires with the C02 they won't fill them for very long. Can't say as I blame them. Around here the local paint ball type folks could fill them for me.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well i wasn't really referring to using them for that purpose, /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif i'd kinda like to have one in my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i work for the memphis fire dept. i know we will not refill them. it is a huge liability deal if we fill it u get hurt cause it does not work right & we get sued. there are also many styles so it would be hard to have everything on hand to re-fill all types. the type we have on our pumper uses a seperate canister that screws on the side to hold the propellant for the ext.

if it is refillable it should have a plate on it that tells the specs on how much dry powder & pressure to fill it to.

also the heavier the tank is the better it would work for what u want.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The only kind you can refill with the kind of pressure you need for an air tank are the heavy CO2 extinguishers. Dont put much pressure in the dry chemical kind. They can rupture and may injure you bad. Dry chemical extingushers operate on low pressures. If I rember right they are pressure tested to 350 PSI. A normal charge for a 5 pound dry chem is 190 psi of nitrogen.
    You can have them refilled by any fire extinguisher service company.

10. biobry

biobry Registered Member

It seems to me that these would make a great onboard air supply for trail use...could hold enough air to pump a few tires back up after rock crawlin' without having to install the onboard compressor...

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It seems to me that these would make a great onboard air supply for trail use...could hold enough air to pump a few tires back up after rock crawlin' without having to install the onboard compressor...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me that a cheap 5 gallon portable air tank sold at your local walmart would be cheaper and safer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You can pick one up for $25-30 new (maybe $5-15 used) and refill them for free at most gas stations.

12. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Last time I got mine at wally world they were 7 gallon tanks for 16$ thats what I used for my onboard air tank.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Got any pics of where you mounted your tank?

14. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me that a cheap 5 gallon portable air tank sold at your local walmart would be cheaper and safer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You can pick one up for $25-30 new (maybe $5-15 used) and refill them for free at most gas stations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with them is they aren't going to fill your tires even once probably, unless it is hooked to an onboard compressor. That's why I was interested in C02 and the fire extinguishers capability to hold pressure. C02 stored in a liquid expands many times giving you the ability to deflate and inflate your tires "x" amount of times before refills.

15. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

have you looked at your local pop or beer distributors? i am not sure what the inital cost is, but it costs 15 bucks for a refill, i dont know how they measure tanks but it is ~32 tall and 8" diameter.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If it's a CO2 extinguisher go for it. Otherwise look for another type of tank. I'd try one a home first to make sure the flow rate & pressure will work for a tire.