Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fire!!! Fire!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandSStorm, Apr 23, 2006.

1. sandSStorm

sandSStorm Registered Member

I guess thats why the call them BLAZERS!

Some of my friends and I had a little get together to welcome the summer. We were grilling out and having fun at a friends acreage..

[​IMG]

We were having fun and the owner of the place told us that he had some cars in the back of the property that we could trash if we wanted to....

My friend simon...

[​IMG]

Desided to go and see how much damage he could do... He climbed the car with ease, with his 88.5 samurai.... The guys came back and asked me to try and do the same with my K5... I reluctantly agreed... Besides.... I was the grilll master and had just loaded the grill...
    So there I went....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got out of the truck and took some pics as you can see....

We had some fun..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As it turns out I did not turn the key back all the way as we were playing some music... I have an electric pump that replaced the mechanical unit since im running a 95 engine... Anyhow.... As you may now know.... The pump kept pumping and the carb overflowed because of the way it was leaning....
    When I got back in I could smell fuel.... I went to start the k5 and I heard something that sounded like backfire... BOOM!!! I was like WTF!!! Then I heard my friends just going ape$hit yelling FIRE!!! FIRE!!! FIRE!!!.... I jumped out of the truck and saw a small fire under the blazer so we proceded to put it out.... When we had it out we could tell that there was some major smoke coming from under the hood.... I jumped in and put the truck in neutral as my friend pushed the front of the K5.. Once on the ground we opened the hood and the top of the engine was engulfed in flames..... We eventually put it out and it was kind of hard... No extinguisher, no water or anything.... Some of my friends ran back to the house and brought buckets of water from the house which was about 100 yards away.... To me it seemed like an eternity.... but we got the fire out...

This is the aftermath...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We all went back to the BBQ...

[​IMG]

Finished the get together ..
    Had a good laugh...
    Had a few beers...

As far as I know.... All I have to replace is :

Air filter
    Ignition wires
    Dist cap ( maybe internals )
    Various hoses and misc wires..

My next purchase....

A BIG FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!

sandSStorm

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

you might be a redneck if..........................................lol :bow:

3. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Sometimes you got to set the truck on fire to get the insurance money to make the truck payment.... I've had my share of close calls too. At least it's not too bad... the fire could have made it's way back to the gas tank...:doah:

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, Im glad no one is hurt, and the repairs are pretty easy and cheap. It could have been much much worse...

5. sandSStorm

I wish theyd let me put full coverage on this MOFO!!!

Prior to this happening I was trying to come up with a good vanity plate.... Now we have came up with more...

FLAME ON
    MR BBQ
    SMOKEY
    WELL DONE
    AD WATER
    TOASTED
    HOT STUFF

And more......

6. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I like MR BBQ, my buddies have been known to call me that... but for differnet reasons.... I cook steaks and ribs... not trucks....(just kidding)

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Glad to see it didnt end out how bad it could of. I have a question tho, what is that scoop on your hood.

8. sandSStorm

The scoop on the hood question....

Ah, yes....

That scoop is a dryer vent. Which you can purchase at any local hardware store....

Its my version of a snorkel... When we go river running I use a diferent air filter unit that hooks up to a hose, which in turn hooks up to that...

It works very good as long as I dont go in water thats over 5" deep....

:D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

very lucky!!

Your really luck it didn't burn right to the ground!..:eek1:

That's why GM put the relay and oil pressure sensor in the fuel pump power wire..so if the motor stalls,the pump wont keep running,and do what yours did,or fill the crank case with gasoline...I've seen motors blow the valve covers and oil pan RIGHT OFF after attempting to start them ,after an electric fuel pump that was just "hot wired" flodded the crankcase....sounded like a stick of TNT going off!.!!!:yikes:

I'd look into wiring your pump more like GM did...:crazy: ..

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

"We were having fun and the owner of the place told us that he had some cars in the back of the property that we could trash if we wanted to...."

I should try this. Have a big BBQ, then tell everyone that I have a bunch of cars to trash. Then show everyone where the neighbors vehicles are parked!!:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I opp. a fire equipment business, and as a heads up, spend the extra money on a 6 pound halon fx,

it is more pricy by far, but when it comes to a fire alot of times the chemical in a dry chem fire will leave with a mess and damage just as bad as the fire its self,

also a dry chemical fx with the rating of bc will handle a fuel fire more efficiently then a abc rated fx.

I STRONGLY recomend investing in a halon, i had a fire myself just a week ago, and used a halon, and it kicked the fires ass right away and little or no cleanup

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Hopefully it's an easy fix. Usally with fires, more got damaged than what meets the eye though.

Mine (back in 1989) was a bit worse:
    [​IMG]

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

glad no one was hurt... I dont have a big fire extinguisher but it is in a easy to reach place.....
    ya can barely see it on the rollbar - they are great investments!!!!!! :haha:
    [​IMG]

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

just a heads up, while something is better then nothing,

that cheap 10 dollar fx with a plastic head is a joke, Im seeing it as a KIDDE brank, also to make it more usefull from time to time flip it over and tap the base of it with a rubber hammer to unpack the powder.

or go to a fx business and ask for a used commercial fx, a 5 pounder, ansel, badger, or general brand, they should have some that are out of date or need a hydro test but got replaced instead.

they might just charge you for the cost of a recharge or six year, or just take off any tags and maybe give ya one:waytogo:

I watched my 86 burn while I tried using a cheap 10 dollar kidde that weas only a month old but the seal had failed due to the flastic head and az heat.