Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fire in the hole!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Nov 30, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Just put my Q-jet on today after rebuilding it. I changed nothing else, just rebuilt the carb and put it back on. Well I cranked her up and POOF a big fireball came out of the carb!!????!!!

What would have caused this? Luckily I have another rebuild kit, but am stumped to as what I did wrong :confused:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

fill it up first...

You probably got a lean backfire when it finally got fuel into the bowls..its best to fill the bowls before firing it up by using a small peice of vacuum hose in the bowl vent in the center of the carb,and a funnel--or use a sqirt type dishwashing liquid bottle--it only takes about 1/2 pint,so dont dump in too much!..

Another option is to disable the HEI or unplug the coil wire if you have points,and spin it over for 20 seconds ,then hook it back up..by then the bowls will be full,and chances of backfiring is greatly reduced.. if you did something wrong during your rebuild,most likely you'll know it in the first minute its running!.. :crazy:

3. stallion85

Cool thanks. I am going to try and fire it back up and see what it does.

I just don't want to burn the house down :doah:

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i'd like to see some pictures of that - maybe even a video! maybe have a camera handy next time. :) just kidding - kind of. good luck tho.

colby

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Any singed eyebrows?? I have been a part of numerous fireballs out the carb. Helps keep ya on yer toes!! :haha:

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Had flames come out of a dual quad tunnel ram once. It was dark outside and the flames joined above the carb. Scared the hell out of me but my friend sure thought it was cool.

7. stallion85

Well, I was in the cab when the fire ball came out. I could see it through the crack in the hood when it was up. My wife and son got the hell scared out of them.

diesel4me- you were right on. I started it back up, let it warm up and tuned it in. She purrs like a kitten now :D

I was having a hesitation during throttle input before and now it is no longer evident. So mission accomplished :D

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

congrats, man. i can't wait to get my 6.2 back together. it's gotta feel great to start a newly built motor up for the first time! :)

colbystephens.