Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fire-works under the hood

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Jul 14, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Went to go see a buddy today and on the way there my K5 started acting up. It would stall if I didn't have my foot on the gas. Got to his house and we looked at the carb. Saying it was dirty is an understatement. We *tryed* to clean it with some ATF, and it made lots of pretty smoke, but it only helped a little. Well, now I have this lovely display of fire-works coming from my carb when I press the gas any harder then just off idle. Kinda neat to see...sounds really bad. Any suggestions? I'm gonna do a tune up this weekend and pull the carb and clean it really good. New fuel filter too. Any thoughts after that? This just started today. Didn't do anything out of the normal as far as driving either. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Kris

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Backfiring through the carb usually means that an intake valve is either not seating properly or its stuck/burnt. Pull the valve cover and see if all the intake rockers look like they'recoming completely up if the carb cleaning doesn't help.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Could have slipped timing, or could have a cracked plug wire thats shorting under load.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Backfiring through the carb means the timing is off. Check the timing.
    -Harrison

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A couple of the plug wire look like they could be burned through pretty good. Those are gonna be changed this weekend along with the plugs (AC Delco Heavy Duty), and a new cap and rotor. Set the timing too. I'm also gonna clean the carb really good. Hopefully it fixes it. I'll keep y'all up to date. Thanks!

Kris

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I don't think plugs wires could cause it unless they are cross firing.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif