Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Firebird Yellowbird?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Blaze, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine found some cars that we are looking at buying. There are two of them, one is a 75 Formula with a 400 and a 4spd, the other is a 80 Yellowbird with a 301 4bbl and a TH350. I know what a Yellowbird is, but I don't know how many of them were made. If it is a rare car, we will probably buy it and restore it. Does anybody have any numbers? Thanks!

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well ive never heard of a yellowbird and i have looked into this car and cannot find any info on it at all... What is it??? besides a firebird that is...

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

have heard of it, let me get back to you.

PS. Where do you find these damn things?

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK follow me on this.....My friends moms friend has something similar. Cept hers is red. It has some funky looking sticker on the sail panel. I dont recall what its name is. It may have been some kind of a dealer installed thing. You know take a strippy car and give it some stripes and a name, then charge a bunch of money for it. It may be sorta rare, but I dont have a clue to what it would be worth.

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

that would be a redbird. These things all started with the skybird ( I think) inlike 75 or 76, and they made a few more including the yellow and red.

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok children, gather round and hear the tale of the (sorta) mighty pontiac yellow bird. (and the sky bird and redbird too..)

Taken from a website i found:

<font color=red>In 1977 Pontiac introduced the Skybird, originally to be named after the 1976 show car called Bluebird, but that name was already used by Bluebird Body Company located in Georgia. The Skybird was coded W60. It consisted of a Lombard Blue two-tone paint scheme, coded #21 with an accent code of #58 (Bright Blue) for 1977 and a paint code of #30 (Lombard Blue) and the same accent paint code for 1978. It came with loads of blue stripes and a special "feathery" Skybird decal. Color matched grills, taillight bezels, snowflake 15" x 7" wheels (YJ8), white wall tires (OBW), color matched custom cloth (24B) or custom vinyl (24N) interior, including seatbelts (AK1), Formula steering wheel (NK3) and carpet. The Skybird was available with several engine combos from the Buick 231 V6 to the Olds 403 V8 engine, for smog and high altitude areas. Some of the models may have received a gold spoked steering wheel or Hurst t-tops. Total price for the Skybird package was an extra $342 with cloth interior and $315 with vinyl. In 1978 it was up to $461 with cloth interior and $430 with vinyl.

The Redbird option replaced the Skybird midyear in 1978. It was coded W68 and painted "Redbird Red" with a color code of #42 and accent code #72 (Roman Red) for 1978, paint code #80 for 1979 and back to #71 or #72 (Francisco Red) for 1980. The Redbird option consisted of the same options as the Skybird, except the base color was Red and the stripes were gold. The custom interior was available in vinyl (74N) or cloth (74B). The Redbird option continued until midyear 1980. Some of the 1979 models received the gold steering wheel, dash, and front arrowhead emblem just like the Special Edition Trans Am's. Engines available for 1978 and 1979 were the 3.8 Buick V6 to the Olds 403 V8 powerplant. In 1980, the Redbird was available with the 3.8 Buick V6 to the 5.0 Chevy 305. Total cost for the Redbird package in 1978 was $465 with cloth interior and $430 with vinyl interior. In 1979, it was up to $491 with cloth interior and $449 with vinyl.

In mid-1980 the Yellowbird was introduced. It was the third and last color change for the Firebird Esprit Appearance Packages. The Yellowbirds were coded W73 with a paint color code of #56 with an accent color code of #37. They also consisted of the same options as the Sky/Redbird, including the the Redbird's gold stripes. The Yellowbird came with the camel tan (62B) custom cloth or custom vinyl (62N) interior and had blacked out taillights with yellow horizontal ribs rather than the usual color matched section. Most of the Yellowbirds received the gold steering wheel and dash. The Yellowbirds could also be ordered with an extra-cost rear spoiler (D98) for $58. Total price for the Yellowbird option was $550 with cloth interior and $505 with vinyl interior.

</font color=red>

Some guy has this about his yellowbird:

<font color=green>Here's some information on the special "Yellowbird" package installed on Ray's Firebird Esprit:

Special two-tone yellow paint (code 56); included gold striping and yellow bird decals for the sail panels and rear spoiler
    Velour interior
    Black lens taillights with yellow horizontal ribs
    Gold front panel crest
    Yellow snowflake wheels
    Black grilles
    Camel tan interior trim
    Camel seat belts
    Gold engine-turned instrument panel
    Camel tan Formula steering wheel with gold spokes (changed to black spokes later in the year)

Sticker price on this car was in the neighborhood of $5,967. Engine options were:
    Buick 3.8L V6 115hp
    Pontiac 4.9L V8 140hp
    Chevy 5.0L V8 150hp</font color=green>

Pic of this car here: http://www.firebirdgallery.com/2nd%20Gen%20Images/80fb10.jpg

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

it said on a few sites that there are no real definite numbers of yellowbird packages installed, all they gave was the total # of esprit's made in '80, something like 10,000 or so.

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I found the same info online. You really don't see all that many of them, I think we are going to fix it up.

BTW, I have no idea how we find these things. I guess I just have an eye for them! If anybody wants one, I might have an extra one lying around. Haha.

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

well keep your eyes open and let me know if you happen to bump into a 77-78 in a field somewhere.....

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'll keep my eyes open for ya. Bucks County, right? Heck, I can even drop it off for ya and catch up with some of my Bethlehem buds while I'm at it!

11. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

damn right bucks county.......

problem with old T/A's round here is that they are all restored already. only ones i ever see for sale are going like 9-10 grand. thats nice, but when i get one i want to do some work my self.......

12. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's what I noticed up there too. Rust is these cars worst enemy and the road salt up there generally aren't kind to them. Your best bet would be looking for a car somewhere down here and having it shipped up there.