Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fired up ZZ502--Now cooling probs! UPDATE!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Apr 3, 2002.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok,

I just installed the new ZZ502 crate motor in place of the ZZ4. Trying to break-in the cam..

It is overheating. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I have a New 4 core HD radiator. I have tried 3 different thermostats. (180 degrees each) I have a brand new edelbrock water pump.

The pulleys and brackets are off a 1990 7.4L suburban. It was a serpentine set-up. It is a reverse rotation design. (I checked the rotation, it is counter clockwise)...

I have the correct water pump for this application. (long and Reverse rotation)

Problem is it wont cool. The upper hose never gets hard/pressurized. It is hot and I feel some water flowing through, but not much.

The only thing I can think of is that there are no heater hoses hooked to it. The core is leaking and I am tired. So can the lack of heater hoses at all cause this??

I am looking for ideas here. I just called edelbrock and they said to take the pump off and take it apart to see if it has and "R" cast into it. (designating the reverse rotation) I really dont want to but I need it running by Sat.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
    John

p.s.--sorry for the length

2. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Re: Fired up ZZ502--Now cooling probs!

Hey John, I dont have any ideas, but i just did drop the Ram Jet 502 in my '72 Jimmy. I also have the serp setup w/ reverse rotation WP. I should be starting it in the next few weeks. Wish i could help more. Keep us posted on progress, or let me know if u have any questions i might be able to help with, good luck, later

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry but is the therm. rightside up ? Is the belt routed correctly ? I don't think the heater hoses are the problem.
    How about the bypass hose ? Betcha Edeldork boxed the wrong pump. Maybe check the water flow with no thermostat...
    Jim

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

you sure it's a reverse rotation design?

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

isn't the thermostat supposed to bu upside down in a reverse rotation? i donno though?

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Checked that. I am sure its right. It is apparently the correct pump. I just got a new one from Advance.... I am going to try that.

Thanks to all. I keep everyone updated.

John

7. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

ok lets pull the thermostat check and make sure it opens ??? if its good than leave it out ?? start your engine ckeck your flow at the thermostat housing ?? no flow means ya got the wrong rotation??also pressure check your cooling system bring it up to 16-18 lbs ? i know its high but it will help if you have something blocking your cooling system. let us know what happens. it cant be anything major ???

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Drill a hole in your thermstat. You've probably got an air pocket.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you sure that the intake gaskets are installed correctly? I don't know if they're different on a big block, but on a small block the rear water coolant passages are mostly blocked by the gaskets. If they are installed backwards, then water can't flow to the thermostat. You can check by removing the thermostat and checking that there is a clear opening from there down into the coolant passage in the head. If there's a piece of sheet metal in the way, then you get to remove the intake and install new gaskets. (And you wouldn't be the first person to ever have to do this!) /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So I just took a trip out to the garage to look at a new set of Felpro big block intake gaskets. They don't have the rear block off like small block gaskets do. Strike that idea! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Also to add..GM assembled this engine at the factory. I wasnt a put it together kit like some. I would think they would check the gaskets and such....I hope/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

OK, another new pump. Still does the same thing. But this time the hoses got hard. They feel pressurized unlike before. I hooked up heater hoses to just make sure..same problem.

I am on my 3rd t-stat. I am going to let it cool and take the t-stat out. I am going crazy! I am smarter than this darn engine.

I have never had problems like this on anything.

John

12. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

When you bought the ZZ502, did you get it complete with carburetor and intake manifold? If not, you could be running lean on your carburetion. Another thought: have you checked the timing? If it's off, it could cause the heating issue you're describing.

Other than that, are you running a heater bypass hose?

Lastly, if you haven't changed from the stock ZZ502 cam, you have no need to worry about "breaking-in" the cam as it is a hydraulic roller unit. Just start and run; no need to keep the revs up or anything like that. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Here's something you might want to check. My buddy was having the same problem with one of his trucks. I see you said that you had put in a new radiator. His problem turned out to be the rubber piece that comes with a new radiator, the one that fits over where the upper radiator hose goes on and kind of (adapts) the hose to the radiator. On his that rubber piece had folded down on the end enough to restrict the water flow. And it would run hot all the time. After 2 sets of intake gaskets, and 2 sets of head gaskets, he was going to take the new radiator out & have it checked, when he pulled the top hose off, there was the problem, you could see where it was folded down. It was a simple fix that turned into a PITA. I hope this helps.

14. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Hey John, how r u routing your heater hoses?

15. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the exact problem I had with my small block. ANd it turned out to be intake gaskets put on backwards. Hope that isn't is, but sure sounds like it.
    Ben 87 JImmy

16. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

84_Chevy_K10, what is drilling a hole in the thermostat going to help?? I've never heard of that. I've always just run the engine with the rad. cap off and filled the rad.up and the air pockets are expelled. Also, I've found that squeezing the hoses a little when filling it up helps get rid of trapped air.

Will

17. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

I've got a '88 1 ton 4x4 with a Tbi 454 & it's a clockwise rotation.If the belt is making contact with the water pump pulley on the inside of the belt then it's clockwise.On the outside of the the belt it's counter c/w.It really doesn't matter as long as you got the right fan. Later..............Dave

18. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

OK I've got it working now. I got the new rebult pump from the parts store. No go. I tried everything, no go.

I took out the thermostat and added another 2800cfm fan. For a total of 5600CFM. That solved the problem. Just not enough air through the rad.

As a note it was counter-clockwise for the 1990. The edelbrock pump never did pressurize the system like the stock iron one is doing.

Thanks for all the replies..

And by the way, the Jimmy hauls ass now!! It is unbelievable.

John