Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Firewall and Distributor clearance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bnate, Apr 23, 2006.

1. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

Have a SBC/SM465/205 in a 73 Blazer with a dropped transfer case. Need to leave it dropped for the driveline angles. The HEI distributor is rubbing against the firewall; I tried to pound alittle space into the firewall....also tried to loosen/remove mounts/crossmembers and shimmy forward toward radiator w/out much success.

....I have *searched on this topic*.

Would going to a non-HEI distributor be worth it if it only produced a few inches of space?
    ....what would the diameter of the non-HEI be?

Is there another way that distributor caps latch other than the screw latch to the bottom?

Thanks in advance.

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I would either put a points type distributer in with an electronic ignition conversion from either pertronics or crane in it, or just go with an aftermarket msd (or other manufacterers) distributer thats already electronic.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

two options..

The point style dizzy is about 1-1/2" smaller in diameter..a step backwards as far as performance though..less spark voltage,and points cost over 20 bucks now,few parts stores even keep them in stock here anymore..since its been 30 years since points were used,they consider them "antique",and are priced accordingly now....

If you use an aftermarket one,be sure it has a vacuum advance..you dont want a "race only" centrifical advance only distributor..

You may find a stock GM HEI used in later Camaros have a smaller cap,but I'm not sure if the had vacuum advance or not..I'm thinking not,the module and computer eliminated vacuum advance,I'm 90% sure....

You could massage the firewall with a bigger hammer,or cut out a "window" and box it in from the inside...and run the HEI you already have...:crazy:

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

MSD has a Ready To Run magnetic distributor which has a nice small cap. That is what I run on my 69 K20.

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

the point issue is the whole reason I said "with a conversion kit in it". The conversion kit turns the points type distributer into an electronic ignition system while still getting the benifits of the small distributer with vacume and mechanical advance. Its about the only deal that has no major issues or setbacks and only cost 64.00 plus the distributer. I see distributors on ebay and salvage yards for 10-20 all day long.

6. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Will attempt after blowing up 2 sets of cap/rotors.

Regards. :laugh:

7. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

How about new poly body mounts either stock or a real short body lift? This would give you a little lift off the distributor. The poly's will be a little stiffer and may help with the body shift.

My rubber mounts are pretty much crushed on my 79.