Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Firewood

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by trailblazer87, Oct 7, 2002.

1. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Finally got out this last weekend to fire up the chain saw and cut some wood /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Haven't had the chance to do so in almost 6 months, I was going into withdrawals.
    I bought a Stihl 044 earlier this year and its just been sitting after only cutting 7 cords. My brother and I went out and got a cord of almond in a couple of hours on Sunday.
    Anybody wanna buy some wood? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    We've got almond, oak, bull pine, and should have a little walnut, need to go out and check.
    This is how we get Christmas money.
    We will deliver to Madera, Fresno, Kerman, Clovis, Chowchilla, Merced is a long shot but I think we can do it, and most of the smaller towns around the area.
    We will not deliver to Madera, New Mexico, Pennsylvania or Portuegal; nor Fresno, Ohio or Texas; not even Clovis, New Mexico /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

044, going for that chain-saw massacre look huh?
    My choice would be 036pro.
    If anyone has chainsaw questions, I know quite a bit about the subject. Worked at a retail store for 2.5 years that sold Stihl and Echo power equipment.

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Yep, got a 36" bar and a 24" bar. Use the longer one for bucking pine trees, the shorter one works great with the orchard woods. I graduated from an 026 for 10 years, it feels great to have the bigger saw, my brother uses the 026 behind me trimming, limbing and doing the smaller bucking.
    Stihl is the one brand of saw that I trust, though I would like to try a Johnson Red /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, 28,000 RPM in nothing flat /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a 041 and my buddy has a 044. We usually cut wood togeather. When we are both cutting. It sure sounds sweet. Thse two saws have such a good harmony. Its kind of like a machine age Opera /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Cant wait for next weekend !
    [​IMG] <font color="red"> INC.</font color>

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree totally with you about Stihl, practically nothing compares to it.
    Although...my Dad's primary saw is a Jonsered (I think that's what you meant). On the side of his saw it says turbo, and although I'm sure it doesn't have a turbo, that saw has the coolest sound to it. It's about 4 years old now, sees plenty of use, and still has the purr like it did on day one. I could cut wood all day with that saw. Give me that saw and a file to sharpen the chain, and going through solid oak is like a hot knife cutting butter.
    If anyone needs suggestions on what to buy...Jonsered and Stihl are the way to go.
    Stay away from Husky...their saws are crap.
    Poulan, Homelite, and other cheap crap sucks because although the price might sound good, you're buying a saw that will last two weekends, break a part, and then you'll never find replacements. No dealer carrys parts for throw-away saws. My only complaint about Jonsered is that parts for those saws are hard to come by also.
    TRUST ME on these suggestions, I wouldn't make up this stuff.

Also, if you want to make yourself feel like a real man, buy a Stihl 088 magnum. Wait...don't, that saw is overkill. Something like 129cc engine, $800+, and up to a 47" bar available. You'd get through one tree and your arms would be sore for a week. Trust me on this, I've picked one up and the weight of "just" a 40" bar is unbelievable.

6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

hukys are good saws.i love stihl!

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I beg to differ about husky's.
    I'd rather use a butter knife than a husky to cut through oak. At least that way I know my cutting tool won't die halfway through the cut.