Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

firing problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Oct 25, 2004.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I have a 1985 K5 Blazer with a NEW 350 4 bolt engine. I just put a new intake on it. Well I got everything back together and went to start it and I am getting a popping sound.
    What is going on?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Timing is of more than likely . Find TDC , with the cap off see where the rotor points , then go from there around 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 , even plugs on pass side odds on drivers side . Get it real close and it should fire and run so you can afjust it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Got an inductive timing light?

Absolute favorite trick for starting it up first time is to find TDC (pull all plugs, put finger over #1 cylinder, turn engine over by hand until it starts blowing air past your finger, stop cranking when it stops, (make sure balancer mark is on 0) re-install plugs (or just #1 plug, your choice) hook up timing light to #1 plug wire, turn key to run, rotate distributor until the timing light fires. If everything else is working right, it WILL fire on the first attempt now.

4. adamforsythe

I will play with it in the morning.
    Thanks
    Adam
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. nomo4x4

nomo4x4 Guest

IF you get the distributor exactly set at the #1 TDC you still have a 50/50 chance, it could be on the exhaust stroke instead of the power stroke meaning its 180 degrees off, if this happens get it back to where you started at #1 TDC and reinstall the distributor with the rotor pointing at the number 6 plug wire instead of the number 1...You'll be set. Good luck!
    Zak

6. adamforsythe

I will try that.
    I will check back with you guys soon and tell you what is going on.
    Thanks
    Adam

7. adamforsythe

[ QUOTE ]
    IF you get the distributor exactly set at the #1 TDC you still have a 50/50 chance, it could be on the exhaust stroke instead of the power stroke meaning its 180 degrees off, if this happens get it back to where you started at #1 TDC and reinstall the distributor with the rotor pointing at the number 6 plug wire instead of the number 1...You'll be set. Good luck!
    Zak

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello,
    I did that and the truck started but it ran like crap. The engine was also getting a lack of fuel so I would have to hit the gas to keep it running.

ALSO for some reason I moved the distributor back to number 1 plug and the truck was popping again. Well I got the truck back to TDC and moved the distributor back to 6 plug and the popping is still going on.
    Well after playing with it I got the distribitor to poning to plug number 1 when the engine is at TDC and I am still getting the popping.
    Thanks
    Adam

8. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

what sort of "popping" sound r u talkin about??? a backfire "pop"?? Through the exhuast or intake?

9. adamforsythe

Af first it was the exhaust now I am getting a intake pop.
    The truck is running but I have to keep giving it gas to keep the truck running. plus it runs rough.
    Thanks
    Adam

[ QUOTE ]
    what sort of "popping" sound r u talkin about??? a backfire "pop"?? Through the exhuast or intake?

[/ QUOTE ]

10. semper-k-five

if ur using a carb, it sounds to me like it's not tuned right....have to keep the throttle up to keep in runnin and such....i don't have the URL on me, but do a Google search for "vaccum tunning"...that will give you step by step how to use the vac gauge to both time and tune ur motor...it's the most thurough and accurate tunning style that i know of...

If ur TBI/TPI, then that's a whole nother story...but it definetly sounds like a tune issue...

11. adamforsythe

Hello,
    It has to be the distributor (timing) because a vacuum problem would not make a truck sound so loud.
    Thanks
    Adam

12. semper-k-five

i think i confused you on the vac tuning....what's going to happen, is ur gonna buy a regular automotive vaccum gauge from autozone or sears, connect it to an avail port on ur intake, and perform some dist setting steps and carb tuning steps...an engine is basically a high tech vaccum cleaner...using the vac gauge allows you to set the motor at the optimum vaccum...vaccum is established with both the correct timing a correct air/fuel mixture....

Again, type vaccume tuning in google and you can find some great info listing the steps you need to perform....

13. adamforsythe

[ QUOTE ]
    i think i confused you on the vac tuning....what's going to happen, is ur gonna buy a regular automotive vaccum gauge from autozone or sears, connect it to an avail port on ur intake, and perform some dist setting steps and carb tuning steps...an engine is basically a high tech vaccum cleaner...using the vac gauge allows you to set the motor at the optimum vaccum...vaccum is established with both the correct timing a correct air/fuel mixture....

Again, type vaccume tuning in google and you can find some great info listing the steps you need to perform....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hello,
    I think my engine has a vaccume leak. I will buy a gauge and go from there.
    Thanks
    Adam

14. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Make sure your 5 and 7 plug wires are not mixed up. If you have to keep the pedal down then you may be off by one tooth.

Later