Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

firing

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Jul 8, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I went to start my 350 yesterday. it turns over fine and is getting fire and fuel to the plugs. The timing is pointing right to number 1 like it should at top dead center. I did get it to backfire out the carb 3 times. other than that i have three dead bnatteries. any ideas??

nathan

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

did you take the distributor out?if you did you might be 180 degrees out.mine did that when i changed to hei system.try pulling out distributor at top dead center and turn engine over 180 degrees then put distributor back in and try again.this is just my experience if you did pull the distributor.hope it helps

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i switched to the hei too. i did not try that though. i checked its positionand it was poining at the #1 tdc. i will take it out and offset it like you said and then see how she does. thanks

nathan

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

well i tried that. it didnt work. i might have screwed up and set my gears off slightly but its been 3 months since i did that. if i cant get it figured out tommorow i will tear it down and check it. i know its on tdc but it seems to be firing wrong and weak. i am gonna turn it over tommorow, and see what it does. thanbks for all the help everybody

nathan

5. chulisohombre

i forgot to mention one other thing.sorry.when you replace with hei the number 1 cylander position on the cap changes and points to the 2 cylander instead of pointing to the #1 like on points.i just thought of this just now when looking at what you said.this is because of the bigger cap on the hei unit.sorry i didnt mention sooner.

6. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

What?

7. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I believe No. 1 w/ points and No. 1 w/ HEI is different terminal position on dist. cap.
    69K5, It sounds like yours truck is doing what I did when I had all my wires off by one position clockwise on the distributor cap.

8. chulisohombre

on mine it was 2 positions change on the cap.when i pulled the distributor at the junkyard it had a 1 painted at that spot.when i had the engine at tdc and the points distributor at the #1 cylander firing position i pulled out the points and slapped in the hei to where the rotor pointed at the 1 on the hei cap.it started right up then.so like i said the #1 cylander firing position would be closer to pointing at the #2 cylander and not the # 1 cylander like points distributor does.hope this is a better explanation than my last one.let me know if this got you running /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ok thanks i will try that and see if it works. i will let you know how it comesw out. i have to get it running soon or my wife is gonna kill me.

thanks again
    69K5
    nathan

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Also don't forget to bypass the stock resistor wire. The ignition won't work well at all if you're using the stock pink resistance wire to supply power to the HEI.

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

do you mean just run a wire from the battery over to it or use a different one from the harness?
    thanks for the tip.

I went today and bought a compressin gauge to check it. finally got to talk to my grandpa and he said to check that and check tyhe cam. also he said squirt some oil in the plug holes and let it soke in around the rings. sometimes its to dry for enough compression.

nathan

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I think Steve Chin may have your problem nailed. Just trace the wire back from youur resistor block and run a new one since the old one probably isnt long enough and you can put the right type of end ont it that will slide into the HEI cap. I just traced it back and cut the old one off where I could and ran a new one of proper guage with a new end. HEI need full 12 volts. Points was less which is why the resistor block was there. At least this is what I have been told.

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ok i will do that tonight. thanks

i checked my compression and all had about 130 except for #3 and #6 they had zero. after almost having a heart attack my friend brought me back in and said i probably had my valves on those too tight. i am going to try the wire thing and see if thats not what it is. then if i just get the timing set right i will be good to go. thanks again for all the help

nathan

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

well i got it cranked this weekend for about 2 minutes before the exhaust manifolds snapped. the 2 valves that were too tight messed up the compression so that it wouldnt fire off. note for anybody dont take out the heatriser. lokks like headers this weekend. couldnt do any thing but laugh at it .

thanks for all the help everybody

nathan

15. chulisohombre

good to hear that at least its running again.headers give you more horses anyway.

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks. the headers are on it and gonna have the turbos welded up tommorow. then it will be time for the next thing to break. i hope it waits thjought i need to get it ready to primer.

thanks for all the help

nathan