Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

First 4WD impression

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Sep 24, 2002.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I'm gearing up to go wheelin' near Montezuma, CO this Saturday and decided since I just got the '72 Blazer, I should test the system out before anything serious. Picture bone stock drivetrain, TH350/NP205, everything. First attempt at an incline and I noticed the driver side wheel wasn't with the program. After working a few times, it seems to join the rest of the wheels after a few rpm's (bad hub????).

My only comparisons are a '93 Jeep YJ (stone bone stock - even a 4 banger) and a '01 Tacoma quad cab with TRD supercharger), but here goes: the Blazer is like a tank comparatively speaking. The biggest thing I noticed was that with the Jeep, I could feel every peeble - it was very responsive and I could actually see what was coming. The Blazer crushes everything in sight and I started to fear what the other side of the slope looked like - cuz I couldn't see in front of the 1.2 acres of hood! I couldn't feel which tire was spinning, either. I guess it will take time to get used to it.

The Tacoma was just solid and sure-footed. But at $32k+, I would hope so.

Now I starting to develop my Xmas list, he he. 4" suspension lift, headers, and a sawp to a manny tranny (no more auto!. And ooooooh when the SuperTop is in production!

I can';t wait to tackle Montezuma (with the guy that bought my '93 Jeep - he'll need to pulled out /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

When you have an open differential, the tire with the least amount of resistance on a given axle will spin. If the passenger side tire is providing less resistance than your drivers side tire wont move. If you had a bad hub, the axle with the bad hub would spin freely when in fourwheeldrive.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

One thing I might sugest is changing the front axle shaft u-joints (or at least not doing any WOT assults of hills in 4lo). The u-joints in our trucks are smaller then any of the new Dana 44's (they are the Dana 30 size /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ). I say this because I broke both u-joints, all 4 pieces of the front axle shafts, and messed up the ball joints the first time I took mine offroad. 30 year old parts that are too small to begin w/ just don't have much chance...

BTW: The newer (73-78ish) axle shafts are a direct bolt in and have the 297x joints insted of the 260x.

4. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

WOT = Wide open throttle? ZOIKES! I wouldnt suggest wide open throttle at all! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Course I guess I am more conservative, I rarely move more than a few mph offroad and would guess I have never been 1/2 open throttle around here.

What kind of wheeling do you use WOT? (Mud boggers do I guess...maybe a sand dune, etc...I am used to being too bumpy to be going that fast!)

I would agree tho about the diffs, they are open and so it is quite possible one was spinning and the other would just sit there. LOCKERS!!!! I just bought a new rear axle with LockRight in it for my Jimmy and hope to install in the next month. If you are locked front and rear...you just point the truck and go...aint much gonna stop ya.

Sam

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I was trying to climb up a short little hill w/ some big ruts and a 2' ledge at the end for the left tires. It was my 4th try. At least I made it. My friends said they saw sparks come from behind the wheels!

Maybe I should lay off the gas some... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

NO................more power!!!! WOT good, broken parts needed upgrading! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif HAHA
    I agree with what everyone said. I will only add that you should put a wrench, socket pliers or something on all the bolts under the truck before you go. Make sure you have a tight ship. Having worked with supercharged 6 cylinders you should know about loose bolts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Having 30 years to loosen is worse when wheeling.
    I will also say this, start out slow. Having owned a J*EP I'm sure you've been in the dirt. But you haven't been out there with a Blazer. Get used to how it feels and its manners. The best way to get where you need to be is deliberate patience........write that down. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    But really don't go to extreem until you get a feel for how the truck will react to your inputs. Hold off on lockers, huge tires, cross over steering ect. Until you get a feel for what is going to work, which line to take and how to take it. Just my 2 cents, take it as you will. Be safe & by god have fun!. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. homemadesin

When I was looking at the driver side tire, it looked as if wasn't touching the ground, but I guess it must've been grabbing something.

Here's a possibly dumb question: would lockers be a big help on the rear diff if I have limited slip?

Also, I'm fighting the desire to get the lift, D60's locked and the works......I've got a tough CFO.....

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

haha too funny! A tough CFO! A limited slip is fine for now but you may want to upgrade later. I've used a limited slip in the rear of mine for years now. The only reason I'm going to a detroit locker is 'cause its already in the 1 ton axle I'm putting in. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. homemadesin

OK, I officially love my Blazer now. Went wheelin' yesterday around Webster Pass and around Montezuma, CO. The Blazer rocks! The only scary part was a narrow shelf road that left no room for error and a significant drop off. I would've paid for Slim-Fast for the beast at that moment.

But it handled mud, snow with relative ease. I think a locker in the front would be awesome, relying on the limited sip in the rear for now. I'll post some pics later.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Sweet! Glad it all worked out! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif