Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

first accident

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NEK5, Aug 2, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yep, today was my first one, not that bad, but i`m pretty shaken up, especially since its my grandmothers car, was in a parking lot, and hit a lady that said she was backing into a spot, but looked like she was pullin out, and i glanced away for one second......how did you handle your first one?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Glad you are ok!

My first one bothered me for a while(I was 17).. BUt eventually got over it... Just tried not thinking about it and such.

In Pa, they ave a "No Fault" thing in sitations like that. Each driver would be responsible for their own car(or their insurance comapny would)....​

3. NEK5

we have no fault here too, but i`m not sure what it covers, i`m 17 now too, and its sure botherin me, glad it wasnt my truck, or i`d hate to see the car

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

It's going to be weird to be behind the wheel for a while.... But eventually you'll get over it.... The best thing to do is to get back on that horse!!

5. NEK5

yea i know, especially since i`m gonna have to get back behind the wheel of my truck:eek1: won`t be drivin today

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

handled my first one by climing into a buddy's truck and riding to school, and had the truck towed to the house. rode the bus home, and as soon as i hit the driveway started beating it back out. 2 days and i had bought a parts truck and had it up and running. this was 2 weeks to the day after i got my DL, 2 weeks to the day after that i got my first speeding ticket.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

My first accident was a rollover. Was definately an interesting sensation hanging upside down by the seatbelt. One word of wisdom. Remember you are hanging upside down when you release the catch. Hitting your head on the roof is rather painful.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Was a police report filed?

Really didn't think much of my first at 19.. Rattled me pretty good, shoulda been dead, but it really never effected me behind the wheel after it...

[​IMG]

9. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

mine was just as bad as Ryokens .I was 17 and hit a big buick head on with a 77 Camaro.It wasnt my fault she was in my lane but they charged me with travling too fast for conditions.I was running about 80 mph trying to get home from work to go on a date.I had to get out and run 2 miles for help since it was on a back road.It took me a while to get over it but it is still as fresh in my mind as it was then.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if it were me, nope, i was driving the speed limit. she's on the wrong side of the road, so her credibility is gone, doesnt matter how fast she was going, she was in the wrong.

11. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

will she had a 8 month hospital stay and had a 6 month pregnant girl with her in the car that said they were on their side but I know they were on my side because thats where the impact happened.That was in 92 in rural s.c. so there wasnt much science behind the investigation.I was just glad she lived.

12. NEK5

you know, i`m not feelin like i was earlier, i think the first accident i was in(i was in the back seat) shook me up alot more

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

My first one was a rear ender, i hit some guy stopped at a stoplight, i was nervous, no real damage was done, eventually wrote it off, and nothing was done about it, second rear ender was when i was in "training" to get my CDL,,,ironically, it was the time of the course about safe driving, and safe following distances:crazy: :rolleyes: only damaged my car in that one, no police report either:D

Don't let this really bother you, just remember it, and try to be more aware of what is going around you, and most of all, SLOW DOWN, being in a hurry really doesn't gain you that much time saved. I see this all day long around here as a driver, people are always in a big hurry, flying past me, cutting me off, just so i can wave at them at the next red light..

the pictures i see sometimes, and really thank god he's still here, are ones of my brothers a few years back, came around a curve, that was kind of blinded by bushes and crap, near San Diego Naval base, at about 45mph, and traffic was stopped, he couldn't stop and ran into the back of a Jeep Cherokee,,,:( I still get a lump in the throat from these, almost lost my brother:(

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  14. NEK5

should the air bags have gone of in the car i was driving? i was going maybe 20, its a 99 olds cutlass

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Depends on where the main crush point was, and how much damage is aquired, they say somewhere around that speed for them or something, but i would think they really only deploy with a major bumper crushing incident.

I used to drive a tow truck, picked up a Mercedes that was crushed in on the passenger side front,,,the passenger side bag was deployed, but the drivers side wasn't,,,so not real sure.

16. NEK5

17. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It happends. Only thing you can do is keep eyes out for bad drivers.
    2000 Dually pulled out in front of me and I hit him in back of front tire. I was doing 55 with a load of rock in back of my work truck back in Oct of 2001. I was dased but for most part ok. My passanger had to have 2 pins in right leg.

PICT4.jpg

PICT4.jpg

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Sorry to hear that . The first one sucks for sure . Mine was in a beater 69 Chevelle with a saginaw and 4 wheel drums when raining . It happened so fast , yet inside it felt like slow motion replay . I went through a red light locked up ( saginaw and 4 wheel drums ) and smacked an Accord turning left . Totalled my Chevelle ( actually made front look like rear , an improvement ) and tottalled the Accord .

Found out an old Grant 2 spoke wheel will actually bend over on impact ( no should harnesses on a base 300 deluxe ) .

Be glad your OK dude :thumb:

19. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

heh my first accident was about 2 months after my l's .. i caused 5k worth of dmg to her car and all that was done to mine was a my fog light bent back? stupid crumple zones

20. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Has anyone ever had one of these rear-end you? She ran into me near Chatanooga.

1Harley 005.jpg

1Harley 008.jpg